Chapter 5 - Mara's story

ابدأ من البداية

"He drives a silver colored pick-up truck, I think it's a Ford but I'm not sure. I never saw any neighbors but I could hear music playing at night that sounded like it was far away. My keys should be in my purse. It's a black leather Hobo bag and the last time I saw it, it was on a chair in the living room." Mara called out.

"Okay. I'll be right back." Melinda said. She went back and relayed the message then asked "Are you guys going after her car today?"

"Yeah. She wants her purse and her car so we're going to go get them. Thanks, Melinda. Take care of her for me while I'm gone?" Bullet asked with a shy smile.

"You know I will. Be safe Bullet. I like her. She's sweet." Melinda said.

"I think so too." Bullet smiled and then turned to hurry back down the hall. He re-entered the meeting room to find everyone waiting for him. "She said he drives a silver pickup truck but she's not sure if it's a Ford or not. She never saw any neighbors close by but could hear music in the distance and her purse is in the living room on a chair, her keys are in her purse."

"Go get ready guys. We roll in 15. Let's get this taken care of so that we can get home for dinner. Andy's making meatloaf tonight and I don't want to be late. Crusher, can you go to the shed and check for his truck keys, please?" Prez said.

"Sure Prez." Crusher replied as everyone stood up and left the meeting room to get ready to go.

Fifteen minutes later, team 1 along with Prez, Bullet, Ratchet, Ace, Beau and Jess pulled out of the yard. They dropped Ratchet off at the garage so that he could collect the tow truck and then they all headed for the diner where they easily located Larry's truck using his key fob. Beau got behind the wheel and Prez and Bullet joined him in Larry's truck.

"Nice ride. I wonder what he did for a living?" Prez said out loud but didn't really expect an answer.

Twenty minutes later, they were pulling into Larry's yard. As they had suspected, the yard was overgrown and the house looked like it was in bad need of repairs. It was surrounded by trees and overgrown brush. Bullet and Prez got out and approached the house. Prez motioned for team 1 to look around at the outbuildings around the house. The house wasn't even locked when Prez tried the door.

They entered the house and Bullet immediately spotted Mara's purse. The interior of the house was unkempt and cluttered with taxidermied stuffed animals covering the walls. There were too many deer heads hanging on the walls, none of them real trophies but Larry was either a taxidermist or had the money to pay someone to do it for him.

"Grab her bag and let's go. This place is giving me the creeps. Why do people kill such beautiful creatures and then hang their heads on the wall?" Prez said, walking to the door.

"I think they do it to reinforce their sense of control over another living creature. It's sick if you ask me." Bullet said as he walked across the living room to gather Mara's purse.

Prez was standing by the door and happened to see a paycheck stub sitting on a table just inside the door. It had "Hank's Hangout" as the return address on it and Prez memorized the address without touching it.

"Looks like he works for Hank. How much do you want to bet that Larry has been supplying Hank with his whores? I bet he works for him as a bouncer or maybe a bartender. Hell, he may even be a trafficker but I kind of doubt if he has the brains for that. But it looks like Hank pays well." Prez said.

They left the house and Prez walked over to the SUV carrying team 1. "The buildings were clear, Prez. Mostly old tools and junk." Hammer reported.