T E N

Kori ran inside her home, and when she passed the kitchen before heading upstairs, she took a peek around the corner. Suddenly scared of what lay just around that corner.... Her breath halted....

Yet. There was nothing. Nothing. No one. No blood, no evidence of someone even being there.. Kori wiped at the dried tears on her cheeks and again looked around. "I am crazy...." She told herself, "I am...." Kori shook her head and then headed up the stairs, one small step at a time, slow as to let her breathing be slow and calmed. She opened the door of her room and found it untouched. Nothing seemed out of place, and nothing seemed to be added to the room.

She again sighed, this time with a grateful air, and the tears wanted to start again as she remembered her parents no longer being there to comfort her. She took in a deep breath and walked into the bathroom, looking at herself and seeing exhaustion clear and etched in the lines of her face.

Kori looked away from the sad girl that looked back at her. She took the chance to strip from her clothes, as sweaty and nasty as they were, and turned the tap to the shower on. Placing it at a comfortable temperature, verified by touch, she went in....

**

Death gave a sigh as he stood up against the wall of the same church where he had created Corenthus, and played with his scythe as the man waited patiently for what he had to say; since he had been summoned to this spot. It was silence before Death started to talk.

"You need to protect the girl. Sooner the better." He said and his voice held an anxiety in it.

"Of course, Death." Corenthus muttered as he shifted slightly and his tattoos glistened black and midnight blue in the low lights, always reflecting like they had a life of their own and were actually moving, just under the tanned man's strong and supple skin, that covered muscles that could probably..... Move just about anything.

"And I mean, now. I dont know what the Hell I killed, and took to Hell and what I let escape me and join the other Lord, well, that was the nice mother of the girl. But the thing that posed as the girl's father.... I don't know..." He shook his head after his rambling, then he pushed away from the wall and started to pace around the room. Death was never this concerned over it all. Never. Normally, a mere human's life would mean nothing to him. But something about this girl, besides the fact she owed him a debt that she didn't actually remember, was different. He needed to protect her. The Good Lord would expect that. He knew, as they both knew, this girl could change the weaves of the future with her death. Death's job was to keep her from crossing over at all times, while the Good Lord continued to decipher what her destiny would be. The Fates were surely upset and not forthcoming of answers, so the task was difficult. That's when Death decided to create Corenthus.

"Go now...." Azreal muttered and looked over to the man, feeling something he couldn't actually explain, run along his spine. "Get dressed, and go. Now!"

Corenthus nodded and simply spread his wings as he left to his own home, taking a white tshirt, slipping it over himself quickly, and then to the night sky.

Just as something was true to Death's word, and close to happening.

**

Kori heard a knock at the door as she finished her shower and she went on instant alert. It was too late at night for Diaz.... She quickly got dressed into something more feasable for bed and slowly started to head downstairs.... Caution coated her steps, and fear clogging her throat, the bitter taste of it layering over her tastebuds. She tried to swallow it down... Just as she got closer, finding the knocking getting more frequent and hearing the occasional scratches, she froze in her place...

Just as a large beastly clawed hand broke the door down, and a growl was heard...

"I found you."

It's guttural words sang; and she screamed.

**

Sorry about the long delay, I've been really stuck on this story. Please just let me know what you think. :) I'll work on the next one soon. When I have time. Enjoy!