Chapter 2 / The Sword

Shadow gasped. "You did what!!!" he shouted furiously. "You're never supposed to do that! I've heard legends of the last time that happened five hundred years ago! Everyone died!!!" Gabriella put her head in her hands and started weeping. "You think I don't know that!? You think I don't regret what I've done!?" She was sobbing now, almost uncontrollably. "I have suffered more than anyone else! The demon king is punishing me. He wants to make me suffer for what I did!" Her voice keeps fluctuating, getting more erratic as she breaks down. Shadow hesitantly walked up to her, "I'm sorry, but what are you talking about? You make it sound like it was you all those centuries ago." She sobbed harder. "That's because it was!" Shadow, surprised, took a step back. "How can you be the one? It was five hundred years ago!!." Gabriella, finally having composed herself, smiled sadly. "I am not a human anymore. Syaoran has cursed me to always live like this. Always alive but never truly living."

Shadow Shook his head in confusion. "Who is this Syaoran and how is he so powerful? I mean, It's not like someone can just make a person immortal, is it?" Gabriella shook her head. "One question at a time. Please. Syaoran is the Daemon king. He gets all his power from people like me, people who he traps between life and death. I am not immortal. I died that night, The only thing that stopped me from moving on is the overwhelming power of a Demon lord." Shadow Slowly looked up, a new resolve in his eyes. "How can we help?" Gabriella Smiled sadly, I'm not sure there is much you can do to prevent the oncoming onslaught. If Syaoran captures your souls, we are done for." Shadow set his jaw, raw determination in his eyes. "Then I guess we won't get caught." Alice looked at him, love and pride in her eyes. "That's my Shadow. He seems like a coward, but always comes through when it matters."

Gabriella turned around, ignoring Shadow's blushing. "If you are to help, you need to get enough power to rival that of the demons." Shadow looked leery of that. "And how can I gain that much power?" Gabriella looked back from her brisk walk out. "There is a prophecy. I'm hoping that it is about you." Shadow was bewildered. "And what exactly is this prophecy?" Gabriella just grinned. "You will find out soon enough." Shadow looked around the new hallway. "Where are we going anyway?" he wondered aloud. Gabriella looked back. "We are going to the sword chamber." Shadow grinned. "we are going to get weapons? Sweet." Gabriella rolled her eyes. "Well, Not exactly." Shadow, confused at these words, frowned. "Then why are we going to the armory?" Gabriella paused, thinking of a response. "I never said that we were," she finally replied. "But you said the sword room," Shadow complained. Gabriella smiled knowingly. "I said the 'sword' room. There is only one sword in it, and I'm not even too sure that you will be able to wield it."

Shadow looked dubious. "Why are you even taking us there if you are not sure that I can even use it!?" Gabriella frowned, a worried look crossing her face. "If I am right, you will be able to." Shadow, bewildered, just nodded in agreement. Gabriella turned another corner and suddenly stopped. Shadow looked up. "Have we arrived?" he asked hopefully. Gabriella nodded. "Yes, we are finally here." Shadow looked up in awe. The room was completely mad of gold, the floor of ruby, and the ceiling of diamond. In the center of the room, there lay a brick of steel wrapped in velvet. In that steel, there was the most beautiful sword Shadow had ever seen. It was only made from the materials in the room. The hilt was gold, encrusted in diamonds and rubies, the handle was steel wrapped in velvet, and the blade was steel, so sharp that it could slice a hair down the middle.

Shadow looked on. "What do I have to do to get that sword?" he asked fervently. Gabriella smiled. "All you have to do is take the sword out of the steel and survive." Shadow gulped. "Survive?" Gabriella nodded. "Yeah. It is a demon sword after all." Shadow nervously walk up to the sword, put his left hand around the hilt and lifted. The sword left the metal with a sound like nails on a chalkboard. When the sword was completely out he felt compelled to raise it above his head. When he did, he felt a sudden disturbance in the air. When he looked around, he was startled to see two young children staring at him, one a boy and one a girl. One was the white of snow with a black spot on her back. The other one was black as night with a white spot on his chest. When they spoke, it was in unison. "We are the spirits of the sword. Neither are good nor are we evil. We are not angels nor are we demons. We are your protectors and your allies. Use us as you see fit." They gave a little bow.

Shadow looked at them, dumbfounded. "What are you talking about?" he asked. He turned to Gabriella. "Are these kids for real?" She just smiled at him." These are Yin and Yang, The demon of peace and the angel of vengeance." Shadow looked between the two. "Which one is which? They kind of look like twins." Gabriella smiled again. "That's because they are." Shadow gasped. "An angel and a demon!?" he yelled in bewilderment. "Yes," Gabriella answered. "They were hatched from the same egg. It really was just a cruel twist of fate for them." "How was it cruel?" Shadow wondered. Gabriella gave him a stern look. "Think about it. Neither angel nor demon. Always ridiculed because they are different. Hated for being born. It's no wonder that they ran away from home all those years ago." Shadow interrupted. "They ran away? Poor kids." Gabriella continued. "They found this sword several years ago and started playing with it, but then it happened. Yin sliced Yang in half." Shadow gasped at the horror. "How is he still alive? And standing no less." Gabriella rolled her eyes, exasperated that he keeps interrupting. "Just listen and you'll know soon enough!" she snapped. "When he was cut in half they discovered something. Their life force is connected. If one dies, so does the other. So Yin thought quickly. She sealed their life force inside the sword and protected it from those that are not worthy." She pointed at Shadow. "And it seems we found out who is worthy. Now they will only serve you. Treat them well and the sword will serve you well. Don't and they will forever leave your side."