Eventually, Ayato almost forgot (M/N) was there to protect him, not befriend him, though he thought the boy was doing a rather good job of both. He saw the glares he gave passing thugs and how his hand always rested on the hilt of his sword, ready to attack, but he didn't know just how thorough the teen was.

Of course, the Ayato family would never hire a mere 16-year-old to protect their eldest son if they weren't sure the job would be done correctly. Despite only being in that section of Inazuma for a little while, he was already acquainted with most of the underworld bosses, offering them the copious amounts of money he was paid for information regarding attacks or attempted assassinations.

To Ayato, he thought things were just going extremely smoothly, sometimes even questioning if he really needed a bodyguard, not that he would ever dream of letting (M/N) go. The cocky and sometimes arrogant Ayato lived on happily, perfecting his swordsmanship and studies for his father.

With the passing of another few months, a new face made its appearance at the Kamisato estate. Out for an evening stroll on the beach, (M/N) and Ayato stumbled across the unconscious body of a young boy, around the same age as the Kamisato, lying on the beach, having apparently washed up on shore.

(M/N) was cautious at first, telling Ayato to stay back as he investigated. Once he'd neutralized and controlled any danger, the pair had rushed back to the manor, seeking immediate medical aid for the boy.

The stranger turned out to be a boy named Thoma from Mondstat. Shipwrecked on his way to the nation, he had nowhere to go from that point forth, but with much convincing from Ayato and words of wisdom from (M/N), their small duo was bolstered with the addition of a new member.

In a short while, it became apparent that the Kamisato family had no reason to complain, as Thoma turned out to be ever hardworking and determined. He did odd jobs around the place: washing dishes, carrying and drying laundry as well as bringing tea. It was clear that Ayato and (M/N) liked him a lot.

Everything was like a dream to Ayato. Never in his life had he recalled being so happy about his life. His studies were sailing without a hitch, the weather was serene, and most importantly, had two awesome friends. For a bit, he almost forgot the ever pervasive existential crisis of taking over the Yashiro commission one day, until he was brought sharply back to reality.

The Kamisato trio walked the streets of Ritou port, out for groceries again. Not wanting Thoma to go alone, (M/N) and Ayato had volunteered to accompany him, taking this as an opportunity to bond and hang out. After all, the three were still rebellious teenagers.

"Okay..." muttered Thoma, consulting his shopping list, "Tomatoes, rice, vegetables and some other stuff for today." Ayato peeked over the boy's shoulder, waving at passing civilians, "So we're headed to Tsukumomono Groceries?"

Thoma nodded, leading the way down the cobbled asphalt. (M/N) followed in their wake, concentrated on watching for danger. His sharp eyes darted from alley to alley, passerby to passerby, searching for weaknesses. He enjoyed accompanying the two, but it was just so difficult to protect both at once, especially when they were innocent 13-year-olds, unaware of the deep, dark workings behind the underground infrastructure of Inazuma.

For the most part, the first half of the excursion passed uneventfully and normally. It was on the way back, carrying bags of groceries, that the incident occurred. Thoma walked with a bag in each hand, still conversing amicably with Ayato while (M/N) guarded them closely.

At ease in the two's presence, (M/N) was relatively relaxed, but still prepared to do his job and thank the Archons he was. A flash of silver caught his eye and in a moment, his sword was drawn, parrying the strike as he yelled, "Watch out!"