Tarrance's Resolve

A few days passed before Maria was cleared to leave the sick house.

"Just being careful," the villager elders had reassured Tarrance each day he asked if she was allowed to leave. He wasn't a fool however and knew fine well what they were being careful of, and it wasn't the illness spreading.

His grandmother was well enough to even take up some part in helping care for the others as Kerrie did. Even if she made a show about it so as not to arouse suspicion.

Despite the stress and anxiety he had been under since revealing his magic to her, it was still a relief to finally see his grandmother back home. Still being helped by Kerrie up the step into the hovel as if she couldn't manage it on her own. Her breathing was still laboured as she was helped into her favoured chair by the fire, so much so that Tarrance had started to worry that perhaps she wasn't as well as he thought and that the village elders knew more than he did.

"Thank you dear," his grandmother thanked the girl sounding exhausted by her ordeal. Reinforcing the feeling of doubt and worry that had grown in him since she returned home. "These weary old bones aren't what they used to be."

Kerrie smiled at her pleasantly accepting the thanks for what it was.

"I doubt that," Kerrie argued seriously back despite the small smile on her face. From either the thanks or for being just happy to see Maria finally recovering away from her sickbed, Tarrance wasn't sure.

"Knowing you, you'll be up and fussing over all of us before we know it," Kerrie said without any doubt in her voice. "Don't think I didn't notice all the little things you've been doing the past couple of days."

"Well, someone has to make sure Willem doesn't lead us to wreck and ruin," his grandmother shot back with an obvious distaste for the man, while simultaneously ignoring the reproach from Kerrie.

"Now Maria, you know he's just doing what he thinks is best," Kerrie argued weakly. Even Tarrance could notice that she doubted herself as she spoke.

"And that's the bloody problem. That this is his best," Maria shot back without any remorse.

Kerrie just sighed at the woman's stubbornness.

Tarrance thought it best to keep his opinions on the man to himself and kept silent for the moment.

"Anyway, you best get back to your day," Maria said without any room for disagreement and continued on to drive the nail home. "The Ferrie's children will need you more than I do right now."

"Are you sure?" Kerrie hesitated despite the truth of Maria's words, "You'll be alright?"

"I'll be fine," she reassured the girl while shooting Tarrance an overly proud happy smile in front of the company. "Besides I got Tarrance to take care of me if need be,"

"If you're sure," Kerrie didn't seem convinced, wringing her hands as she moved away.

Tarrance tried to not take it personally. He knew Kerrie was just worried but still he was standing right there.

"I'm sure dear," Maria turned a smile her way. "Now on with your day."

"All right," Kerrie nodded knowing a dismissal from Maria when she saw one but not without a few parting words. "But if either of you need anything, come find me. Anything, alright?"

Tarrance was caught unawares by suddenly being addressed and barely managed to croak out an alright in return before walking Kerrie out. A smile of goodbye from Kerrie and a shy wave from Tarrance was all that passed between them before the door was swifty shut behind her retreating to keep the measly heat of the fire in.