By the end of the class, I'm covered in paint, but I'm far from happy with the results of my painting.

"Well," I sighed, putting my paintbrush down, "this sucks." I muttered, pouting slightly as I watch the other leave and say goodbye to each other.

Ensley must have noticed my frustration and approached me. "Hey, Celestine, what's up? Everyone left already."

"Oh right, sorry." I said, standing up and removing my apron. "Let me just clean up a bit."

As I looked down at my painting in frustration, I could feel Ensley's eyes on me. I tried to hide my disappointment, but she could see right through me.

"Hey, do you want to stay back and work on it some more?" she asked, gesturing to my painting. "Sometimes, it just takes a little extra time and effort to get it just right."

I hesitated for a moment, not wanting to keep Ensley back if she had things to do. So I tried to brush it off. "I'm fine Ens, I can just redo it next time, really."

But Ensley wasn't convinced. "You can stay Celestine, it's fine and I can even help you out if you want."

I smiled at her, touched that she would take the time to help me with my painting. "That sounds great, Ensley. Thank you."

"Of course Cece."

...

As we began to work on my painting together, I couldn't help but feel more relaxed. Being in Ensley's presence made me feel better, and I was glad that she was willing to let me stay and even help me.

Ensley and I huddled over my painting, analyzing the colors and the brushstrokes and trying to figure out what wasn't working.

Ensley was patient and kind as she offered suggestions and advice. We worked in near silence, both of us lost in our own thoughts as we tried to improve my painting. Ensley sat beside me and started a painting of her own as well, keeping me company for however long I need it.

The both of us savored the silence, speaking in hushed tones only if we need to but otherwise welcoming the quiet altogether.

As I worked on my painting, I finally mustered up the courage to ask what was on my mind. "Hey, Ensley, is everything okay? You seemed a little down earlier."

Ensley hesitated for a moment before answering. "It's nothing really, just some personal stuff. I don't want to burden you with it."

I shook my head. "You're not burdening me. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here."

Ensley looked at me for a moment and exhaled, "you sure?"

I nodded and continued blending my painting.

"Okay, well it's just that there's this girl."

My hand stilled and I glanced at Ensley, "yeah?" I muttered, clearing my throat and resuming my painting. "What about her?"

Ensley twirled her paintbrush between her fingers nervously. "Well, I have a crush on her," she admitted, her voice low.

I looked up at her in surprise. "Oh," I said, not quite sure what to say. "Have you told her?"

Ensley sighed. "No. But I really like her, I just I don't know if she feels the same way. She's sweet and funny and beautiful, but I can't tell if she's interested in me or not."

I nodded, urging her to continue. "Have you tried flirting with her or making your feelings known?"

Ensley shook her head. "I've tried dropping hints and being a little more obvious, but she just doesn't seem to get it."