Soot monster.

Nike

"What's the debut and what happens during it?", Emilico asked our teammates? I raised my head a little bit upwards, clearly this girl wasn't the thoughtless type like all the other humans here and worried much more than others here since she asked so many questions.

"It's a test where shadow masters and living dolls are tested on their competency Nike just passed her debut so Lou and you are the only ones hadn't their debuts yet".

"Don't shadows ever fail their debuts ?", Emilico asked, she must have be worried about Mistress Kate but Rosemary and Mia brushed her off since it was against the rules to talk about failed pairs.

" Emilico you shouldn't worry, you are only nervous because it's what Mistress Kate feels and you will feel better naturally once she passes the debut", I said kneeling down to her level and grabbing her hands  with a smile it was the most I could to hopefully ease her mind without breaking the shadows house rules according to them if a living doll was worried it had to be her for shadow masters sake.

"Thanks Nike, your shadow mistress must be very lucky to have someone like you", Emilico said smiling.

The bell for a phantom than rings, all of us had never seen once not even Rosemary but she was the oldest and required to take the lead according to rules since she had the most experience apparently. I put on my soot suit but left the mask off since Rosemary said it wasn't necessary and decided to trust her words and ran off with her Mia, Lou and Emilico.

I gasped silently and almost froze when I saw the giant black soot monster known as a phantom when a loud a shrill teenage girls instantly snapped me out of my thoughts and I started running again voice yelled" Get to work you sluggards and smash that thing to bits!!".

I couldn't be seen as a failure especially not in front Barbie one of the four star bearers who had power to dispose of any of the living dolls in the children's wing.

I seen Mia grab Emilico's hand and start running, they worked together to beat the painting that the phantom was in.

I rolled down quickly to the floor and put my arms over my face so I could prevent any injuries which was a good idea since Rosemary gotten attacked by a phantom meanwhile I made the decision to roll onto the floor.

I quickly stood up ",Lou we need water there is some in our cleaning kits" Mia and Emilico were to too distracted figuring out what to do and Lou was the only person who might be able to still help me sort out this mess a little still.

I grabbed Emilico's hand and ran," Emilico the water from our kits isn't enough we need more I think there is some near by us", I said stopping behind the flower vases.

Emilico all of sudden grabbed a flower vase and quickly rolled onto the ground protecting my face.

Rosemary ended up with soot sickness.

I went back to my room and made sure to clean myself extra carefully because of the phantom incident and than I undid my braids and I redid  my braids so they looked nice again.

"Hi, Miss Nicolette would you like some tea and cookies?", I knew she was probably bored here her room all day and would love some fresh tea and cookies.

"Yes, please today was quite dreadfully dull. Oh! Wait a second Nicolette forgot she drew something!". Miss Nicolette giggled grabbing a piece of paper with pink ink displaying a drawn rose and white lilies.

"That's quite beautiful mistress Nicolette", I said smiling widely and than walked off and made her a cup of tea with lots of sugar and grabbed her five cookies to put on the table. I watched her happy expression giggling as she was eating a cookie and sipping tea.

"Today was a cleaning day Miss Nicolette and also I saw a phantom today I tried not hard to stand out, Barbie was there today giving orders. But I can't help but wonder if she is miserable behind her all her shadow master seems quite miserable and quiet".

"Ah you are always the observer aren't you Nike?", Miss Nicolettes giggling.