Home For The Summer

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! :)

"Hello, mum," Lyssa smiled tentatively. Her mother unconsciously straightened in the chair across from her. Her light brown hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail and she was wearing a faded gray t-shirt.

"Hi, Lyssa," she smiled back, though it didn't quite reach her eyes, "Come on then your brothers are at home with the sitter." Her mother grabbed her paper coffee cup and led Lyssa to where the car was parked. Together they loaded the luggage into the trunk and then climbed into the front of the car.

"How was school this year?" Her mum asked, trying to sound casual, "Anything fun happen?" Lyssa could tell her mother was wary of this subject but also sensed that she was trying her best to hide it.

"Yeah lots of fun stuff," Lyssa offered, the tension palpable as they followed the streets out of London and down towards their home.

"That's good." Her mum seemed visibly relieved that she would have to hear too in-depth about the events of the school year. Lyssa at once thought of the letter her parents had received the previous year about the whole philosopher's stone ordeal.

"But, something else did happen," Lyssa started, her mum shot her a cautious look, "The kind of thing you and Dad might get a letter about."

"Lyssa Faye Wiley, what on earth did you do?" her mum shouted.

"I didn't do anything this time I promise," Lyssa pleaded, "It was more something that was done to me," she continued. Her mother gripped the steering wheel so tight her knuckles began to turn white.

"Go on," she said through gritted teeth.

"Essentially, I was petrified by a really big snake," Lyssa explained, "And I know that really doesn't make sense, but, there's a lot of important wizarding politics and history you would need to understand to really grasp what was going on, but, all in all, someone was trying to kill the muggle-born students," she rambled, "No one actually died, though," she added upon seeing the horrified look on her mother's face. No one spoke for a couple of minutes.

"Someone was trying to kill you?" she whispered.

"Yeah," Lyssa conceded, "But they were only able to attack me because I did something dumb. They were actually going to close the school before Harry Potter killed the big snake and stopped the guy trying to kill people."

"Harry Potter?" Her mum questioned, "That's the boy from last year, isn't it?"

"Yeah," Lyssa replied, "He and his friends always go looking for trouble, I just stumble into it," she grumbled.

"I see," her mum nodded, "That's quite enough for now I think." She reached to turn up the music on the radio after she said this.

With the exception of the pop music playing from the speakers the rest of the car ride was silent. Lyssa knew better than to try and win over her mum with stories of all the good things that had happened that year. So instead she tilted her head against the window and closed her eyes.

𝀈𝀈𝀈

This less-than-ideal start to the break only carried on as the summer progressed. Lyssa's parents were in the middle of a heated divorce, as it turned out this had become more permanent than the separation she had been informed of at Christmas. The more time she spent around either of her parents the more clear it became to Lyssa that the only thing that they could agree on was that Hogwarts was out of the question for the following school year.

This decision also meant that Lyssa was forced to move in with her dad in his flat outside of London and while Lyssa may have been relieved to not have to deal with the near-constant argument she and her mother seemed to be having she was disappointed that she didn't get to see her brothers as often. Though, they were the reason she had to move, weren't they. Her parents were worried that if they kept her out of Hogwarts she would hurt them, not on purpose of course but accidentally.