Ten Points To Slytherin

Don't forget to vote and comment if you enjoy the chapter! :)

Late the next week while Lyssa was sitting at the Slytherin table for breakfast the owls flooded the great hall with the morning post as usual. The only thing that was unusual was the one very large package that was being carried by six owls. Lyssa found herself wondering what it was when the owls dropped it in front of her, crushing the toast she was eating.

There was a note taped to the top and Lyssa moved to open it, entirely aware that many people had begun to stare.

Do not open this parcel at the table. It is your new broom. It is a Nimbus Two Thousand. - Professor Snape

Lyssa hadn't even realized Flint had walked over to where she was sitting until he snatched the note from the table where she had placed it. His eye darted over the note before he addressed her.

"Finally, Snape told me your broom would be coming this week, though I didn't realize how nice it would be," he whispered to her. It was something of a secret Lyssa had joined the Slytherin quidditch team, a surprise to knock the Gryffindors off balance in their first game. "But now that you're not on a school broom I reckon you can start training with the rest of the team," he continued, maintaining his low volume, "They've been all over me to tell them who the new mystery chaser is." Lyssa nodded as she retrieved a new piece of toast and buttered it. "Why don't you meet us tomorrow on the pitch for a proper introduction? Same time as usual?" Lyssa nodded in agreement as her mouth was full of toast but hastily swallowed so she could ask him something.

"Could you help me get this back to my dorm?" Lyssa asked him, "I don't think I can do it myself before classes start and I don't think McGonagall will be very sympathetic to my plight." The sixth-year boy looked between the small blonde in front of him and the large package on the table. Lyssa was right. The two quidditch players had come to something of an understanding over the past week. Flint may have even begun to like Lyssa, no one had ever dared to say so out loud, but, they both knew it. It seemed, in Lyssa's mind at least, that Flint cared more about quidditch than blood status in the long run and so his little quidditch prodigy was given a free pass in his mind.

So he grabbed one end of the package and motioned for her to grab the other. They made it to the Slytherin dorms pretty quickly and they unpackaged the broom and slid it under her bed. Flint looked around at Lyssa's fifth of the room, there were no photos or knick-knacks or anything other than books really. If it wasn't for the creases in the bedspread he would have thought that nobody lived here.

"I knew your parents were muggles but I didn't realize you were poor," he laughed, he gestured to her barren walls and tabletops.

"Oh, they're not. But every time I leave my stuff out the other girls break it when I'm not here." Lyssa shrugged like it wasn't a big deal, "I've gotten very good at mending charms, but it's not worth the hassle so I've just left it all in my trunk."

"Oh," Flint said. While he wasn't surprised that this was the case he did feel a little sorry for Lyssa. He briefly thought about scaring the mickey out of her dormmates but thought better of it. It was one thing to be friends with a muggle-born in private, it was a very different one to defend said muggle-born in public. What would his parents think?

They left the dorm quickly and went to their first classes. They didn't even acknowledge each other when they parted ways.

Lyssa was barely on time for transfiguration with the Ravenclaws and hastily took her seat next to Theo. Malfoy was sitting at the desk on the other side of the aisle from her and he watched her as she took her seat. As far as seating arrangements go the only class worse than this one had to be potions, which was unfortunate because Lyssa rather liked the two subjects otherwise.