Chapter 3

Polly

Arrrg. Why are these weeds so thick!?? I swear to frog, I really need to come up with something to help with this. Frobo's a big help, but I need something that can be in multiple places at once. I wonder if Sprig's found something I could use. He loves to go on and on about the things he finds on the new continent; surely he has to have found something, right?

Speaking of Sprig, I can't help but wonder if he's doing ok. It's been a day since his speech and I haven't seen him around at all. Worried for my big brother, I get up from my work and head towards the house, waving goodbye to Frobo as I go.

When I enter the house, it's quiet. I check the basement and sure enough, he's there. Honestly, what did I expect? "Hey, are you okay?" I approach him slowly, not wanting to disturb him from... whatever he's doing. I think he's hugging the Domino 2 plushie he made for Anne? Yeesh dude. I get it, but still. That is clingy.

"Huh? Oh, yeah," I can clearly tell he's lying, because his eyes are red and puffy and his voice sounds like he recently cried. "I'm fine..." I fold my arms and raise an eyebrow, no communication needed for him to get the point. I don't believe him.

He sighs in defeat, knowing that he has lost this argument. "Alright, fine. Just stop giving me that look!" He gets riled up so easily, I can't help but tease him. "What look? I don't know what you're talking about." I smirk. He frowns. He then proceeds to chuck a rock at me, but I manage to dodge. I then start laughing and he follows soon after.

After cheering Sprig up, we decide to go for a walk. We're near the outskirts of Wartwood when I finally have the guts to ask him what happened yesterday. "Not to ruin the mood or anything, but Sprig. About yesterday..."

He freezes up, and I can see how tense he is. Luckily, with my very persistent attitude, he finally opens up to me. "I... don't know what came over me. I can't really explain it, but the speech I gave just made me realise something." He looks up at the sky and shoves his hands in his pockets. I've gone quiet, waiting for him to answer. "It's been ten years, Polly. Ten whole frogging years since she left. I feel like she... she might not be coming back."

He finally looks and me, and when he does I immediately hug him. "I know, dude. I know. I still don't want to believe she's gone, but instead of moping about it like a certain pink frog I know I am instead going to reflect on the time that we spent together and how she has made me a better person."

Sprig snorts. "Those are some wise words coming from a 15 year old. are you sure you didn't take that line from one of Mrs Boonchuy's shows?" I elbow him and he nudges me back. It ends up as a full-blown wrestle by the end of things. Of course, thanks to the Muay Thai lessons Anne gave me, I beat him. That felt good.

We eventually turn around and head back to Wartwood, when someone shouts. "AMBUSH!"

It's Ivy! Sprig's girlfriend and work partner, and she's an absolute beast at fighting. They both may be six years older than me, but I still hang out with them and occasionally even do favours for them. I can just hear Anne fangirling over this ship. Ivy then tackles Sprig to the ground and we all start laughing.

???

It's dark in the temple. A slight movement reveals a figure, wearing a black tunic with grey leggings. The figure then moves towards the pedestal in the middle of the room and is greeted with three others wearing the exact same outfits.

The first one speaks. "Alright, not long now. It is almost time for the next star alignment. This is what we've been waiting for, a chance to cleanse the past of those wretched beings they call humans. Under the combined power of the alignment and ourselves, we shall travel back in time to rid this land of these so-called saviours."

The other three cheer, though the last one seems hesitant at first. "We leave next week at dawn. Nobody be late. Farewell, comrades."

Sorry, not uploading anything on what's going on in the human realm yet. That's next chapter. Until then, let me know what you think! I also went over the last two chapters and edited some things, so you could reread them if you want (If you are reading this before 11.10.2023). There are no major changes though, so it isn't necessary. I don't mind either way.