Pride and Promises

Start from the beginning

I frowned at him,"You know that you don't have to sleep with someone for them to like you,right?"

His brows furrowed briefly but he kept on a smile on his face.

Shadowheart muttered from over by her bedroll,"But that makes it easier to manage others, isn't that right Astarion?"

Astarion's eyes narrowed at her remark. Shadowheart flashed him a wicked grin. I frowned at the way his body tensed as if he'd been hit.

I was getting fed up with my bestfriend's attitude and I wasn't about to stand for much more of it. I got to my feet ready to storm over to her," Seriously Shadowheart,what is your problem?"

Astarion gently reached for me as I started to move towards her. I met his eyes and the pain in his red eyes slayed me.

He shook his head at me and I growled, turning back to glare at Shadowheart as she started back over to us.

She didn't bother to responding to me, she was instead giving Astarion her full attention. She stopped a few feet in front of him, her arms crossed. "While I might owe you a life debt for saving me,it doesn't mean I'm just going to agree with everything you've been saying. Why are you out here anyway? Do not say hunting Owlbears because that is only a half truth and you know it. If you're going to be traveling with us, I need to trust you."

I realized Shadowheart was right, it didn't make sense for him to be out here alone.He could feed from anyone back in the city. My heart started to race as we both waited for his answer.

Astarion hesitated a bit at the question, I noticed his eyes darken before he answered her.

"...It's a bit of a personal matter, a matter I'd rather not discuss right now, I hope you can understand that."

He turned to smile at me gently. "I'd rather not spoil what is otherwise such a lovely day."

Shadowheart glared daggers at him. I tried to silently beg her to ease up,but she was still ignoring me.She was so very stubborn."Do you know what secrets do to people Astarion?"

When he faced her again he frowned, " They have a purpose, as all things do. Nothing I've done will have any impact on your well being, I swear it. I wouldn't bring danger to your lives purposely.I am not that cruel or selfish. I will give you the answers you're seeking, just not now."

He glanced again to me hoping for my trust in this as well.

I understood needing to keep secrets.I believed in my heart I could trust Astarion so I was ready to let him explain himself later on.

I turned my attention on my best friend,who was still glaring at Astarion, not the least bit satisfied with his answer.

" Shadowheart you've kept secrets,big ones from me as well. I've given you many chances to come to me in your own time.I never pushed you. He just saved your life. He also could of attacked us last night while we slept but he didn't. Let's let him take the time he needs. If he's lying I'll be the first one to stake him okay. "

Shadowheart growled throwing her hands up in surrender," Fine....fine, we don't have time for this anyway,. We've been sitting around wasting daylight. I want to find my sister."

Astarion shocked me by moving over to Shadowheart. She watched his approach warily.

When he pulled a dagger from inside of his boot, we both visibly tensed.

He held his hands up and moved carefully, keeping his hands visible to us both.

When he was in front of her he stopped moving. He kept a small distance between the two of them, which I knew was for Shadowheart's benefit. If he needed to he could close the distance between them in just moments.