Pride and Promises

Start from the beginning

Shadowheart sighed but didn't say anything further on the matter.

When she went to offer another mug of tea to Astarion,he shook his head politely refusing her offering.

She left us alone at the fire,to repack her gear.

Astarion and I sat a few moments in amicable silence. I was annoyed my sex life or lack of one was becoming a topic of discussion.

I knew that I'd be having a private conversation with Shadowheart about this later. She and I didn't share the same views on intimacy.

She saw it as a task to perform, to let out stress and sate a biological need. She had never bedded anyone she had any strong feelings for.

I wasn't even sure she had been in love romantically with anyone. To her,faith mattered above everything else.

I sometimes wished I could stay so distant in my own sexual endeavors. I couldn't bed anyone just for fun. I needed some sense of connection and it was what made trying to be intimate again so frustrating for me. I loved sex of course, but I always want more from the experience. I've learned that my expectations were not easy to meet for alot of people and it's become a big reason in deciding to stay celibate. So lucky,or rather unlucky for me that this gorgeous, intuitive vampire came into my life now.

I sighed before I spoke up again,"Can I ask you something...?"

Astarion smiled, nodding his head gently, "Of course darling,what is it?"

I loved his terms of endearment for me. I chewed on my lip pensive a moment before blurring out," Would you want to stay with Shadowheart and I?"

I was nervous waiting for his answer,so I distracted myself with a careful sip of tea.

"I have to admit, getting the chance to stay by your side is very appealing to me.So yes, I would want to stay with you, and with Shadowheart, for as long as you'll have me. I hope you understand how much that means to me that you've asked."

He seemed so genuinely happy that I'd like to keep his company.

It had me smiling back as I said,"I have others that I'll need to introduce you to once we get back to the city. Are you sure you're okay to stay?I don't want to take you away from anything important you have to do. I am only out in these woods because of Shadowheart in the first place.She asked for my help to find someone and we've been looking for days now."

Astarion nodded again, in mentioning the reason that we were out here, he looked to me a bit more directly.

"Who are you looking for?I can't help but think your help in this pursuit, must mean this individual is quite important. Is this someone who is important to you?" He asked me gently,"Who is this person you seek?"

"She is important personally to Shadowheart, it's her sister,Aida. " I answered him honestly.

Astarion's eyes flashed before he glanced over to Shadowheart, studying her for a few moments.

Turning back to me he said. " Do you know why Shadowheart is trying so hard to find her? I mean... no offense to Shadowheart but she doesn't really seem like the family type."

He shrugged and softly laughed. "I just don't see her being really into family gatherings and that sort of thing, you know?"

It was my turn to laugh,"You've barely known her and yet you can surmise that much. She isn't close with anyone but her sister and I. Even if she may seem standoffish to strangers, she has a big heart. "

Astarion smirked before he spoke again. "It's true, I haven't known Shadowheart for too long, but her character really does speak volumes."

He turned back to study her again, seeming to consider her in a new light. "I suppose I can believe that she may have a bit of a soft spot under that tough front.She certainly seems softer around you. It's quite touching, really. I'm not used to seeing people care about others in that way....I guess I'm the sort who thinks first of himself," After a pause he said, "Though I must admit... it must be nice to not have to charm someone for their attention."