18

I was so scared. The memories of that night keeps haunting me. I survive to that nightmare every fucking day. It drives me crazy. That memory is inked in my mind as if it's yesterday, that unforgettable accident happen. Changing my life for ever. That night is like a storm in my life. Which I survived. But the aftermath of the storm is not ended. It has affected my life. I can't forget that night.

"Jane. Why don't you go and rest in your room." Stella say. I know I have created suspicion in their mind. I can't talk about that night. I can't tell anyone my real identity. I will always hide this secret with me.

I got up and went to my room, actually Christian's room. I get change into my night wears. After changing, I go and lie down on the bed. I close my eyes. The flash of that night runs in my mind. Car. Blood. Hospital. Light.

I wake up in an instant, scaring Christian who was sitting on the other side of bed. "What happen?" He ask in shock. "Are you okay? Did you have a nightmare?" I nod my head. "It's okay. It's just a nightmare. Here drink some water." Saying he hands me glass of water. I took a sip of water. I place the glass on the bedside table.

"Are you okay?" Christian ask again. 

"I am fine." I assure him "It's normal for me. Sorry to frighten you." 

"Normal? Is having a nightmare normal to you?" Christian ask me.

I can't tell him the truth. I sit there mum, looking at him. 

"Is it that hard for you to talk about?" He ask me

Hard? It's the most difficult thing in my life. Talking about my past. The past I wish  I could forgot, but can't. 

"So, you find it difficult to talk about your past." He concludes. "Fine, I won't ask you."

"It's.... it's kind of difficult to tell." I say. "They are bad memories I wish to forget." The last part was very low to hear.

"I understand. Go back to sleep." He says and lie down. I also lie down. I close my eyes and try to sleep. I fell asleep after sometime.

The next day, I woke up, I was very close to Christian. There was no distance between us. I must have moved closer to him during sleep. Thank goodness, he is sleeping and didn't saw it. Otherwise he would be angry. Without making any noise, I went to bathroom to get ready for the day. Today, I am going to office. The first day after getting married to my boss. I clearly know, there will be voices around in the company. Everyone will be talking about it. To be honest, I don't want to go to work. But, I have to. Nana's medical expenses is costly. I have to pay her medical bills. I have to work hard to earn it. 

With a deep sigh and checking my reflection in mirror for last time. I came out of the room and went downstairs. Christian's mom Stella was having breakfast, "Good morning." She greets me. "Have your breakfast."

"Good morning mam." I greet her. I sit beside her on the kitchen island and have breakfast.

"Are you going back to work?" She says looking at my formal attire.

"I have to." I say and took a sip from the freshly brew coffee. 

"You look nice formals." Stella compliments.

I look at the attire I wore. It doesn't belong to me. It all belong to Emma. All the clothes and accessories in the wardrobe are new. I was hesitating to wear them. "I just saw it in the wardrobe. Don't worry, I won't wear them again." 

"Why will you not?" Stella asks. She was sad. 

"These doesn't belong to me. They belong to her." I tell her slowly.

She understood my hesitation. "Jane." She took my hands in her hand "I know, you are finding it all weird. I understand. It's all new for you. I just want to tell you that you are Evans now. You are the part of this family. It all belong to you." Stella tells her.

"Mam. That's very kind of you. But, I know these things don't belong to me. I am just a substitute. When Emma will return, everything will be given to its original owner." I tell her. "I also know. Christian and I are from complete different worlds. We are never meant to be." 

"Why are you talking like this?" Stella questions.

"Mam. It's the reality. I an not from high status class. I don't even know the life style of those high class society. Which is normal in Christian's life. The thing normal in his life are the things I work hard to earn. That's the big difference." I tell her honestly. "He is my boss, I am just an employee working under him. That's my reality." I pause.

"I also know, Christian won't accept me as his wife. Because he loves Emma. She is the person he wanted to get married. She was the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with."

"Jane..." Stella opens her mouth to speak.

 I interrupt her, "Don't worry mam. I won't ask anything from you. And if Christian wants to divorce me. I won't take anything from him. Rest assure. I am off to work, Good day." Saying this I got up, went to work. This conversation was necessary. I know there are many differences between us. I have thinking about it. Finally, I said to Stella about it. I was relief, as if a heavy burden has been removed from my shoulder. I don't want anything from him. I also wants to assure Stella that I am not behind their assets. 

What I didn't expect was that our conversation was heard by someone. Christian heard it all. He was standing behind the wall, no one has noticed him, neither me nor Stella. He listened to all the conversation I had with his mother.