Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Jasmine's or Jaz's day started was normal. As normal as it can get for a lazy, anime loving, bookworm. She had gotten up early, gotten ready for school and hopped on the car as her mom drove to the train station. She ignored her mom as she talked about the NPR station she was listening to. If Jaz had realized what was going to happen she may have paid more attention. Instead simply tapped away on her phone, bored.

"It's not good to tap away at that thing all day," her mom commented suddenly.

"Uhuh," Jaz stated holding back an eye roll. Her mom pulled into the train station and briefly waved goodbye heading inside.

It wasn't until that night that things got strange.

It was after bad loss at a basketball game as Jaz walked out the train station. It was dark out and she was supposed to meet her mom somewhere. She checked her phone again trying to make sure she was going the right way. Not much rattles her but she couldn't help but be a tiny bit nervous, not that she would admit it.

A scream catches her ear. Her first instinct is to run. But after a moment- and against her better judgement- she followed the sound.

More yelling and shouting followed and Jaz picked up the pace her heavy backpack bouncing on her back. She came to a stop though when she reached something that looked impossible. "Oh. My. God."

In front of her over a dozen girls clad in silver were firing silver arrows with perfect accuracy at a group of humongous dogs the size of big cars. Jaz froze for moment trying to comprehend. In that moment a dog noticed her. It stopped snapping its fangs at a silver girl jumping over her to face Jaz. "Uh, easy girl- boy?" She said uncertainly. "You know I probably taste horrible. I'm covered in sweat." She continued to ramble taking a step back ready to sprint (despite her hatred of running).

Surprisingly the dog didn't move. It simply watched her as if trying to tell her something. It took a step forward only to turn to golden dust covering Jaz with the stuff.

"So, not eaten... but I'm now a disco ball," Jaz muttered. She looked around and the other dogs were gone to. Only dust and the silver girls. One walked over to her lowering her bow. She had long dark hear and dark eyes to match. And strangest of she wore a silver tiara like ring on her head. Jaz looked at the bow briefly before she grabbed her bag ready to run.

"Thy name?" The girl asked.

"My name?" Jaz asked. "Nothing of importance...uh... I'm just gonna call my mom..." She said digging out her phone and stepping away.

"No!" The girl said grabbing Jaz's phone away.

The only thing stopping Jaz from decking her right then and there was the fact that she had just saved her life. Jaz swallowed her anger. "Can I have that back?"

"No. Tis why the beast caught your scent so fast."

"My scent? Look I know I'm sweaty but-"

"Thou must come with us."

"First off: No. Secondly... Thy? Tis? Thou? Did I walk in on LARPing or something?"

The other girl didn't seem to think Jaz was funny. "Thou must come with us," she repeated. "Thou art in danger if Lord Hades sent his beasts after thee."

"Hades? Like the Greek God?" Jaz asked. "Actually I don't care. Give me my phone, and I'll leave you to LARP."

"I see you have succeeded," says a new voice. The silver girls turn to see another girl, this one younger with auburn hair and silver eyes.