The Fire

I hid in the closet, patiently waiting for the target to approach. As he entered the room, I retrieved my knife from its holster. When he was finally alone, I stepped out of the closet and swiftly threw the knife into his chest.

Target: Look at me, killed by a woman.

Jesse: May the angels of heaven open the gates for you when you arrive.

I used a white cloth to wipe his chest clean, confirming that my mission was accomplished. After that, I made my exit through a window and seamlessly blended into a bustling crowd. Pulling up my hood, I navigated my way to meet the buyer.

Jesse: The job's done.

I handed over the bloodied cloth to the buyer and silently walked away. My destination was an abandoned warehouse located on the outskirts of town, where I called home. Hanging my coat, I leaned against a wall, taking a moment to reflect on my life thus far. I hailed from a regular family in St. Louis, and my last shared memory with them was using an alley as a shortcut. We successfully navigated through it without any issues. However, tragedy struck when we attempted to cross the street. A speeding car struck all three of us. Fortunately, I sustained only a broken leg, but my parents' injuries were severe. A week later, they both passed away, leaving me to fend for myself. In the absence of family support, I turned to the life of an assassin as a means to earn a living and to rid the world of nefarious individuals. For the past five years, I've been on this path, and now it's 1926, with me being just 20 years old.

Jesse: Will my life ever change?

I heard the sound of a car pulling up, so I quickly concealed my belongings behind a stack of boxes and stealthily climbed up into the rafters. From my vantage point, I strained to listen to their conversation, but the words remained indistinct. Slowly, I maneuvered closer, observing two men standing near a box containing a crumpled note. Tension escalated, and suddenly, one of them shoved the other, leading to a heated physical confrontation. The situation took a dangerous turn when a gunshot rang out, narrowly missing my head by a mere millimeter. My heart raced as I watched the one with the gun begin to suffer a panic attack, while his companions rushed in to console him. Eventually, they decided to take the box and left the scene, allowing me to cautiously descend from the rafters.

Jesse: That was close.

With a canister of gasoline in hand, I doused the warehouse in the flammable liquid and dropped a lit match, watching as the flames began to engulf the building. Without wasting any time, I swiftly turned and sprinted away from the inferno. In the distance, I spotted an open train car and made a quick decision. I leaped into it and stayed hidden until the train carried me away, taking me to the city, leaving behind the blazing remnants of my past.

Jesse: City life, here I come.

(Chapter End)