"I once relied on a servant whose Scales balanced perfectly. In exchange, I was bound to stone for 2,000 years," Ammit said.

"But I have disciples all over the world whose Scales balance perfectly, awaiting your command," Harrow answered. He was nothing if not devout. "They are worthy, my Goddess."

"But you are the one who set me free. You are the Avatar that I need. Serve me, and you will find peace. Do not let the pain of the past control you."

It wasn't as though Ammit had to twist Harrow's arm for him to say yes. Sinking to his knee, he bowed deeply. "As you wish." 

That was your cue. As Harrow's eyes glowed purple and he received the full might of Ammit's power, you ran back to the Ushabti's. On finding Khonshu's, you threw it to the floor and stamped on the statue, crumbling it to pieces. You stumbled back as a white mist rose from it, and suddenly Khonshu was standing in front of you. He glanced around, then down at you, and crossed his arms with a sigh. He didn't like owing you a debt for saving him. 

"Pidgeon," you greeted with a whispered cough. 

"Worm," he commented, dusting himself off. "You look like shit." 

"I'll put you back in this Ushabti myself," you answered, and then he staggered and you glared at his obnoxiously smug gaze. 

"Problem?" he asked and you frowned.

 "Can you..." you trailed off, unbuttoning the top of your shirt to reveal the bloody bandage beneath. "Please." Khonshu nodded without any of the wit you expected, and you felt a pain lift from you that you'd barely registered feeling as he healed you. "Thank you."

"I do not sense Marc Spector in this world," was his response. "He died fighting, no doubt."

"Fighting your war."

"And it's far from over. If Marc is truly gone, I am in need of an Avatar." He had no eyes, just sockets, but you knew he was looking you up and down. "Would you, y/n y/l/n, protect the travellers of the night--" 

"--Are you joking?" you scoffed. "You turned Marc's life into a waking nightmare, and then Steven's too. Why would I ever sign up for that?" 

"Because you won't win against Harrow and Ammit alone."

"I'll take my chances." You turned to walk away from Khonshu but he was suddenly in front of you again, blocking your way.

"Marc was in crisis over you," he said. "His lack of focus got him killed. You need a plan, little bug. What I offer..."

"I don't care what you can offer. Marc didn't trust you. I don't trust you." You went to walk away but his words stopped you. He was right. You needed a plan. You turned back to Khonshu, reluctantly holding out your hand. "We'll work together without me enslaving myself. Deal?" 

With a soft groan, Khonshu shook your hand. "We must rebind Ammit," he said. 

"How?" 

He raised his eyebrows. "Only an Avatar can do it."

"I said no." 

"Then there's not much for it," Khonshu said, slamming his staff against the stones with an echo that reached Ammit's ears. She fell quiet a moment, and you tried to hold Khonshu back, but to no avail as he sighed, and without another word, vanished.

Ammit was preaching about purifying the souls of Cairo and then the world, walking towards the exit with her followers when Khonshu materialised in front of her, blocking their path. She growled. "Khonshu," she greeted coldly. "Time has been cruel to you."

"Indeed," he agreed, wielding his staff threateningly as she tried to pass him. "I cannot allow you to proceed." 

Hidden in the shadows, you watched with baited breath, waiting for Ammit to speak, but it was not her who raised her voice. "There's someone else here," Harrow announced loudly. "Find who released him." 

"Well, this has been fun," you muttered, retracing your steps. "How the fuck do I get out of here?" 

"My path is set, same as anyone's," Ammit told Khonshu as you crept around the room, wearily watching as Ammit's followers spread out with weapons that would kill you in a second. "I'm here to bring balance."

"You speak of balance, yet you choose him," Khonshu laughed humourlessly, waving a careless hand towards Harrow. "Your Avatar is a sinner."

"You're jealous of his loyalty," Ammit said, and Harrow beamed at the compliment.

Khonshu scoffed. "Loyalty at what cost? An empty world for your disciples to inherit?"

"Don't listen to him," Harrow said. "He only wants to keep you bound."

"Oh, Khonshu, for a God, you are low on faith," Ammit said, her voice low as she readied her stance to attack Khonshu. He stretched out his staff, the sculpted crescent moon reflecting in the light.  

"You'll never learn!" he cried, and with that, Ammit whipped her tail at Khonshu, sending him flying back into the brick. Somehow he stopped himself in mid air, never colliding with the stone and using his power to throw himself back at Ammit. She dodged his attack and he dodged hers, stumbling to the floor. The fight shook the ancient pyramid and you clung on as dust and rubble, undisturbed for centuries, fell to the floor around you. You wanted to help, but what could you do? 

As Khonshu tried to stand, Ammit struck him down a second time and he cried out in pain. "Tell me to spare you, and I will," she hissed, her clawed hand raised. 

Khonshu shook his head, staring her down. "I choose obliteration over mercy."

Ammit let out a victorious yell, but as she went to grab Khonshu, you could have sworn you heard him say, "Marc?" and he vanished. 

"Khonshu?" you whispered, hands trembling as you peered out. Had he fled? You sunk to the floor in the shadow of the statue of Osiris as Ammit and her followers collected together, ready to leave the pyramid. You couldn't tell if your face was caked in sweat or tears as you wiped your hair from it, racking your brains for not even a plan B or C or D, but a plan Z at this point. 

But there was nothing you could do. If Khonshu was gone, there was no hope.