The arrival of a Strange Bird

Tai pov

The birds' chirping echoes throughout the woods as I chop some firewood. I wipe some sweat from my brow, taking a break for a few seconds. I look at the wood pile I have accumulated for the past hour. I look up towards the sky and see it's about noon. Glancing over at Yang's window, I see her quickly shut her blinds to hide herself from view as I sigh.

"It's about time to make some lunch. Any moment now, Ruby will proba-" I was about to say when the front door opened, revealing Ruby asking when lunch was. I chuckle as I lean the axe on the stump and head inside. "I'm coming, Ruby." I close the door behind us, grabbing the hand towel to wipe the rest of the sweat off. "It'll be ready in about forty minutes." I say as I walk into the kitchen. "Okay, Dad." I hear Ruby say.

Yang Pov

I sit up in my bed, looking down at my legs covered by my sheets while holding what's left of my right arm. After hearing a knock at my door, I look towards the window, not wanting to look at anyone right as I hear the door open. I hear Ruby's voice as she steps inside a bit. "Dad says lunch will be ready in about forty minutes." I nod without even looking her way.

After about thirty seconds, I hear her walk out of my room, closing the door behind her and sighing. I look back at my legs while my mind races about the events that happened at Beacon. I clench my fist in anger as I remember being told Blake had just run after everything was done. I was getting exceedingly angry at Blake and myself for being so careless. Before I could clench my fist any tighter, I heard an incessant tapping at my window.

I angrily threw back my curtains, ready to yell at whoever was tapping at the window, only to see a hawk. Confused, I stared at the hawk till I noticed it was wearing a harness. Even though I struggled a bit, I managed to open the window, allowing the bird to come in. I hold out my arm, letting it climb on. I sigh as I go to exit my room, thinking that Dad may know what to do. I open the door and call out, "Hey, Dad? This strange hawk was tapping its beak on my window." I see Dad walk out of the kitchen with an apron on as I walk down the stairs.

"Ah, that must be from (Y/N)." I hear my Dad say as he holds his arm out, and the hawk flies from my arm to my Dad's. "(Y/N)? Who's that?" I hear Ruby ask Dad, looking back at us from the couch while petting Zwei. "Just someone I met while you girls were at Beacon. I asked him if he could pick something up for me a day or two ago." As Dad says this, he opens the cylinder attached to the Hawk's harness, pulling out a letter. "When did you manage that?"

"While everyone was asleep, I sent a letter." The hawk flies onto the back of the couch after Dad closes the cylinder as he opens the letter. "Ah, seems like he'll be here in six months or so." Ruby then leans against the back of the couch, still petting Zwei, and asks, "What did you ask him to get you?" Dad looks back at Ruby and, knowing him more than like, smirks while he says, "And that, my dear Ruby, is a secret." While their attention was on each other, I started walking back upstairs, clutching my right arm.

(A/N): Sorry that this part is really short. I wasn't exactly sure what all I should do for this chapter. I'm going to try to make all of my other chapters longer and I may end up changing my writing style throughout the story.