They arrived at the fully adorned breakfast table, but it had two people already seated, the smell of freshly toasted bread and melted butter wafted in the air. The rich atmosphere made Murtasim feel like he was over stepping and he wanted to leave already, because she wasn't there to make it bearable.

Meerab's elder brother Sarfaraz momentarily lifted his gaze before focusing on the food again, giving Murtasim the view of a man filling his stomach. His wife was at his side with a shy smile, urging Murtasim to take a seat at the board table with the gesture of her hand. It had a couple chunky diamond rings on it which glinted without reservation.

He remained standing, like a solider. There was no pleasure for him, he was simply fulfilling his father's request because he somehow convinced himself that keeping Meerab safe was his life's effort, which needed to be upheld. Murtasim let out an exaggerate cough to prompt Sarfaraz, and it punctuated the ambient humm of staff in the background.

''Kitna arsa ho chuka hai tumhein nahi dekha Murtasim,'' Sarfaraz said almost tauntingly, as if a visit was owed. The words felt as if Murtasim in debt, needing to offer his time. (It's been so long since i've seen you.)

Or perhaps he wanted a thank you from Murtasim for being selected for the prestigious role of babysitting Meerab.

The morning sun was harsh, and it looked upon them, making them glow. But Sarfaraz did not have even an ounce of angelic innocence remaining.

''Bohat saal ho chuke hai,'' Murtasim confirmed whilst scanning the room. The ceiling still had pink helium balloons which were obviously from the party a couple nights ago, their coiled strings swaying beneath them. (It's been many years.)

''Ab bhi fauj mein ho?'' Sarfaraz interrogated whilst chomping on his breakfast. He was blatantly weighting up Murtasim's expertise, planning on how he could use it to his advtange. (Are you still in the military?)

Only then did Murtasim begin to wonder who the Khan's had pissed off enough that wanted to attack his sister inside their home, to ruin the façade of peace.

''Sirf 6 mahiney hue the ke fauj se chutti leli. Ab army office mei kaam karta hun, to fursat nahi milti  kisise milne ki,'' Murtasim shared in a formal manner, like it was a job interview. (It's been 6 months since I left active service. I work in a local military office now. I have been busy, hence not had the opportunity to meet with anyone.)

''Chalo, is training ka istemaal karna meri choti behen ke liye,'' Sarfaraz remarked nonchalantly, as if she was worth military garde training. (Well you can use your training for the protection of my little sister.)

The use of choti behen was entirely unnecessary. Murtasim was well accustomed with the only daughter of the Khan house. The sight of her alone was enough to unfurl buried memories, of hopes that he once harboured.

Sarfaraz was midway gulping tea when he made eye contact for a second time, and Murtasim nodded at the eery midnight orbs as if he agreed. He did not agree, his hands remained locked behind his back, clenching as to hide the disdain.

''Usko aik kharash bhi lagi, to yaad rakhna ke hum hisaab kitaab ke sakht hai,'' Sarfaraz said as a thinly veiled threat and Murtasim's mouth felt dry, wanting to cower over Mariyum. (If my sister received even a scratch, remember that we are very strict on being even.)

Now he would have to put his life on the line, for both of them- that was the value of a Khan, versus everyone else. They were tyrants, that had somehow nurtured a dove.

Sarfaraz's wife, nudged him, trying to lighten the mood. ''Mazaak kar raha hai. Umeed hai ke tum humari Meerab ka acche se khayal rakho gey university mei,'' she said whilst plastering on a fake smile. It was too early for such a wide smile- it was an act. (He's joking. We have full faith that you will look after Meerab well in University.)