Chapter 48 - What happened?

"Leona Kingscholar?"

You were currently calling for attendance on today's lesson and well... you weren't surprised by the lack of response after the aforementioned junior's name.

You glanced toward your students just to notice that, for the nth time, he was absent.

You sighed quietly and stared at the attendance paper in your hands before looking up, making your gaze fall on a beastman with dirty blonde hair.

"Ruggie, you're personally acquainted to him, yes?" You asked the boy, who perked up and promptly nodded his head.

"I'm very sorry to trouble you with this matter... but could you please speak to him or tell him I wish to do so?" You made the request with an apologetic but serious tone.

"...Will do, professor." The half hyena quietly sighed and scratched the back of his head with a tired expression.

You didn't notice Floyd suppressing a mocking laugh, nor you saw Azul or Jade casually covering their slight, knowing grins.

"This isn't respectable behavior a housewarden should have, especially not toward the professor. I shall ask him too during our next meeting." Riddle spoke in a quiet, irritated tone, crossing his arms with a scowl.

"No matter, let us start with today's lesson. It seems the rest of us is all present." You sighed softly and smiled to the class before stepping toward the projector.

"Feel free to stop me at any time you wish to ask a question, now then..."

~~~~~//$\\~~~~~

"C'mon Riddle, no need to take it to heart." Trey told his childhood friend while wearing a forced smile.

"I'm not "taking it to heart"! Simply, Kingscholar's behavior is deplorable and the professor doesn't deserve it." The other boy huffed in annoyance and crossed his arms as the two walked through the halls, right after your course.

"They're a wonderful individual with outstanding preparation in their competences and a knack for teaching." The redhead dorm leader spoke passionately before waving one of his hands to the side.

"All of the students can easily follow their lectures- I mean, even that Floyd listens obediently without causing troubles!" His eyes were wide as he said that, as if it was something completely unbelievable.

"So you're getting mad in the professor's stead because you personally look up to them?" The green haired junior asked with a smile as he adjusted his glasses, an undertone of amusement in his voice.

"That has nothing to do with it! It's just disrespectful to teachers in general, that's all!" Riddle immediately turned defensive as his brows furrowed deeply and his face tinted pink.

"I'm sure they'll take care of it." The third year young man laughed to himself before patting his housewarden's shoulder.

"Sigh... N-nevermind. I remembered something more important." The latter sighed and promptly changed the subject while crossing his arms.

"I'm going to be late, later today, so go ahead and start Spelldrive practice without me." Riddle informed and one of his hands reached for the stair's handrail, beginning to climb down.

"Sure, will do." The student in glasses calmly responded with a single nod.

"All right, I'll see you- Wh-whoooa!" The red haired sophomore was about to bid goodbye when one of his legs suddenly lunged forward and he lost his balance, his eyes widened and his arms instinctively prepared for an impact.

"Riddle, look out!" Trey reached out to his friend and grabbed the latter's arm, pulling hard.

"!"

...