What Makes a Jewish Joke Funny?

When I was in college, me and an old Jewish friend of mine would poke jokes at each other based on religious stereotypes of Jewish women. The one I remember most clearly was when she and I would love to go to the salad and buffet lunch spot Sweet Tomatoes. Every time I would go into her car on the way to the restaurant, either me or her would say to each other "I got coupons!" And then the other would say, "What Jewish girl wouldn't?!" We both got a real chuckle out of that one.

At a Hillel Shabbat dinner at my college, however, I was asked what I did with my day. I responded, "I went to lunch with my friend and naturally, us Jewish girls made sure to bring our coupons." Here, I thought I would receive laughter from my fellow Jews as I told a joke I thought we all could relate to. Instead, I got shocking stares and was told by a number of them, "You can't say stuff like that!"

I was really confused because here I am, a Jewish college student telling a joke about a common religious stereotype. Sure, it was about a typical Jewish trope that doesn't portray us in the best light. But it was me, a Jewish girl who told that joke. So, I figured it would be okay coming from me. Clearly, my Hillel friends didn't think so.

After this incident happened to me, it made me wonder what Jewish joke is considered okay to say. Are all Jewish jokes contraband? Can we not roast Jewish figures or customs? Are we a betrayer of our religion if we do so? The answer is complicated as comedy is known for pushing boundaries. But at the same time, antisemitism has been around for over two thousand years, also called "the longest hatred."