Chapter 9: Ice

Darry's POV

I was sprinting down the street, Soda on my heels as the cold night breeze blew through. Pony doesn't even have a coat on, I thought fearfully. He had a fifteen minute head start on us and I couldn't help but worry. He was so fast, he could've been on the west side of Tulsa by then.

"Darry," I heard Soda call out breathlessly from behind. I looked over my shoulder to see him trailing further and further behind. "Can ya slow down? I ain't as fit as you are."

I tried to slow down my pace, but I was too scared for Ponyboy. It had been all my fault that he'd run away. Guilt was gnawing at me. If something happened to him...I'd never be able to forgive myself.

First, we searched the lot, eyeing the dark shadows in desperation. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed someone curled up on the grass, lying under a bundle of newspapers. At first, I thought it was Ponyboy and hope filled me, but it faded when I realised it was only Johnny. Soda saw him too, a look of disappointment etched across his features. He dashed over to Johnny and shook his shoulder.

"Hey...Johnny," he said, gasping for air. "Come on...Johnny...wake up..."

Groggily, Johnny opened his eyes, sitting up stiffly. "What's goin' on?" he asked, rubbing his face with his hands.

"Have you seen Pony?" I said urgently, silently begging that he had seen him.

Johnny's eyes widened. "No. The last time I saw him was when he was heading back home. Why?"

"I-I" I stuttered, not knowing how to say it. I kept picturing it in my head. All I could see was red. All I could feel was pure fury. Then I was standing there, paralysed in shock, looking down at my hand as the light skin turned a shade of splotchy pink. Then I saw Ponyboy. I'd never forget that look in his eyes and how I was the one who caused it. "I hit him... He ran off and now we've gotta find him."

Johnny leapt to his feet and without saying a word, we started running once more. My eyes flew from left to right into every alleyway and crevice, hoping that he hadn't gone too far. Oh Ponyboy, I pleaded. Please be ok... I don't know what I'd do if something bad happened to you...I couldn't bare it...

We sprinted for several blocks, panting with the effort, but overwhelming worry gave me the energy to run on and on. What if the Socs got to him again? If the Socs get him, he could be bleeding to death right now... I shuddered at the thought.

"You two go left, I'll go right," I called over my shoulder. "Circle around. We'll meet at the park!"

Soda and Johnny turned left, while I turned right. I looked around, feeling choked up and defeated. I'd messed up. Out of all the jobs I had to do, caring for Ponyboy was the biggest one and I'd blown it. The one duty my parents had left me, and I'd failed.

After running around the block a few times, I was about to give up hope when a stricken scream cut through the air. My heart skipped a beat. I recognised it instantly. Ponyboy...

For a moment, I was frozen, until another cry caused me to wake up. "Darry! Soda!" I started to run once more, heading straight for the park where I knew the screams were coming from.

His shrieks were pleading, begging for help. They echoed around the empty streets helplessly and I couldn't stand it. I wanted to call back, to tell him that I was on my way, to give him some comfort that he wasn't alone.

In what felt like hours, I was barreling into the park, the elm trees swishing in the wind as I came to a halt, looking around desperately for any signs of life. Another agonising cry cut through the night, louder than ever and I looked towards the fountain to see Soda and Johnny kneeling beside a quivering form lying feebly on the pavement. My heart seemed to be in my throat as I hurried over to the scene, begging that everything was ok, even though I already knew that that was far from the truth.