VIP

Such an unusual occurrence, you had to completely seize the opportunity.

"Not bad, kid. Maybe make the strips thicker?"

The mermaid-like lady was right in every single comment she made. The dress wouldn't be as nearly astounding as it turned out to be.

"And... Here it is." You put the red fedora over the dummy's head. "Do you think she'll like it?"

"I don't know, maybe you should ask her." The lochlady turned to the calendar. "Today is the pickup."

"Well, I'd send someone to grab it for me if I were her instead of-" Your sentence was interrupted by the ring from the bells of the front door opening.

"My most esteemed Mayor," the siren ran to greet her.

"Bonjour." She responded with a weird hand gesture. "I'm guessing my order is already taken care of."

"Most certainly. Please do follow me to the workshop."

And there you were; a mangle of anxious sweating and foot tapping. Clearly not the best image to show of the boutique.

Good thing Pauline had barely even noticed you there once her eyes landed on the cloth. She approached it delicately, admiring every single inch of it. "It's astonishing."

You turned to the mermaid, who was trying her best not to squeal out of the excitement.

"I'll certainly use this on my next festival." She turned to the both of you. "Here, VIP passes for the first row. Make sure to invite everyone!"

Before any of you could even thank her, she applauded twice, and two men appeared out of nowhere to take both the design and her out of your view.

"What festival?" You inquired once you were left alone with the lochlady.

"It's a concert our Mayor dedicates to Mario to thank him for all that he's done for her and the city. It's lovely, actually, her voice is splendid."

You raised a brow. "Mario?"

"Yes. You know, red cap, short, spaghetti?"

You shook your head. "Not a clue."

"The Mayor isn't fond about talking about this other than to thank Mario, but you do know DK, right?"

You furrowed your eyebrows. "DK?"

"How long have you been living here?" She sighed. "DK was this gorilla who used to take hostage of our Mayor day and night, and Mario was the one to save her each time."

"Oh," all the posters around the town suddenly seemed to make sense, as shocking as those news were. "So this Mario guy must definitely be really important."

The siren clicked her tongue, thoroughly thinking her choice if words. "He's more of a monument to the city, per se. I guess they got along well in the past, but now he's more of a legend, if you get what I mean."

"I think I do." You looked down at the ticket the Mayor had given you. "Are you assisting to the festival, then?"

"I'd never ever miss an opportunity like this. You should bring every friend of yours you can find, first row is the biggest deal."

Your grin vanished in a matter of seconds. "I don't think I can anyway. I have a shift on the cafeteria at this time."

The lochlady eyed you curiously. A fresh, innovated, genius mind like yours cruelly trapped in a minimum wage establishment?

"Have you signed a contract?"

"Yeah," you replied.

"When will it expire?"

You counted with your fingers "In a month from now."

"Well, I'm giving you a part time job here. Miss all the shifts you need in the other shop until a month goes by." She headed to the counter and out of nowhere grabbed a pile of papers you'd take ages to fill, but still with the biggest happiness in the city.