Board of Governors

Henry adjusted his cravat, standing outside the doors to one of the hospital's operating theatres. He looked over at Victor. The scrawny scientist was anxiously tapping his fingers together, eyes flitting about nervously. He looked like a cornered mouse, jumpy and slightly curled in on himself. Henry realized that having him in the courtroom might be a bit overwhelming. "Victor, it would likely be best if you waited out here," he said. Victor nodded gratefully and took a seat on one of the benches along the wall.

Henry took a breath and pushed the doors open, striding into the room with as much dignity as he could muster. The operating theatre had been repurposed for the board meeting. The table had been pushed aside to be replaced with a podium, and a table had been set up amongst the rows of benches, behind which the board sat. Henry stepped up to the podium, placing his journal and chemical box upon it, looking up at the governors, waiting for them to speak.

A man with styled black hair and a pencil-thin moustache, whom Henry recognized as Simon Stride, a man he'd never been fond of at all, spoke. "Ah, Dr. Jekyll. Good to finally see you," he said. Henry worked his jaw. "Forgive me, Sir. It has been a rather long morning," he said as politely as he could. Stride nodded and stood.

"The Board of Governors of St. Jude's Hospital is now in session. Sir Danvers Carew, KBE, Chairman." The bearer of the name, an elderly man whom Henry knew as the father of an old friend, raised his hand. "The Right Honorable Sir Archibald Proops, Q. C." A skinny, wizened old man. "General Lord Glossop." A mustached, muscled man with an impressively square jaw. "His Grace, the Bishop of Basingstoke." A tall man in purple religious robes. "Lady Beaconsfield." A hawklike woman with a thin, cruel mouth. "Lord Savage." A finely dressed man with an irritated, impatient expression. "The Order of business will be conducted by the Secretary to the Board of Governors, Mr. Simon Stride." Stride gave a slight bow before taking a seat again and flipping open a large book.

"Proposal No. 929-Presented by Dr. Henry Jekyll," he said. There were several soft grumblings at that. Henry glanced at John, who was standing by the doorway. He gave Henry the rare encouraging smile. "The Chairman will now address the board," Stride said. Sir Danvers Carew stood, looking to the others. "My friends! As Governors of St. Jude's Hospital we are all well aware of the highly controversial nature of Doctor Jekyll's research. But our high regard for his work and reputation demand that he be given a proper hearing. And that we now happily accord him," he said.

"I won't happily accord that madman anything," Lady Beaconsfield muttered, though her voice was still plenty loud to be heard by everyone in the room. Henry gripped the podium, biting back the sharp retort on his tongue. "Bessie!" Sir Danvers Carew exclaimed, shocked. Jekyll swallowed and looked down at his journal. John had advised him to cut straight to the point and give the governors as little time to object or bore as possible.

"Distinguished governors, I have glimpsed the future! I'm sure you are aware that there are two sides to man: good and evil. The latter of which is mankind's curse, that which we constantly struggle against. I theorize that, with a chemical formula I have devised, I could extract the evil and separate the two forces," Henry said, unlocking the box and pulling from within a test tube containing a brilliant red liquid and holding it up. He noticed, as he gazed at the fruit of his labors, the governors flinching back. Even John, who supported his friend, couldn't stop himself from instinctively wincing. "With this formula, I could split man into two beings, and alter his personality to guide him to evil or good! Think of the possibilities; a world without evil, pain, or conflict!" Henry said, eyes glimmering with a passion.

The Bishop, who had been growing increasingly agitated during the scientist's words, finally couldn't stay silent any longer. He rose to his feet, slamming his hands down on the table before him. "Say you're right, Jekyll, and you separate good and evil. What happens after that? What happens to the evil!?" He cried. Henry hesitated for a moment. I don't know. He dodged the question as best he could.