Despite coming into her freshman season with no softball experience, she took on the position as catcher and became a natural at it. It was foreign, having only played organized basketball before.

"I couldn't see myself anywhere other than catcher once I began playing there," Lopez said. "I tried different position prior to catcher. Infield, outfield. But catching is where I belong at this point."

"This season, I'll remember that whenever we were down we always picked each other up. And we always had fun at the end, win or lose."

As Lopez can attest, having fun may also lead to a BIIF championship and a pleasant surprise from out of the blue.

Santana signed her name on her picture, handing it over to Nalani. The rest of the team slowly made their way over to the stairs. Brittany was walking with Rachel, they had just come from A Building.

The article was passed around, the girls each signing and writing a little note. This season was a dream, something that each of them knew was attainable, they just had to stay consistent to get there. Santana looked around, at the girls that surrounded her. Not only were they solid players, they were even better friends. And she wouldn't have wanted her years of high school to go any differently.

/

The week flew by, and before they knew it? It was graduation day. Honoka'a was a little different than other schools on the island. Their ceremony began at 10 am, compared to other schools who had their graduation ceremonies in the evening. No one really paid any mind though, because it just gave them more time to make it to their friends who were graduating at other schools.

Brittany and Santana had stayed the night in Honoka'a, just so that they could get ready in the morning without having to get up too early. Brittany was still complaining about the fact that the girls had to wear the gold colored robe rather than the green.

"But we'd look so good in green babe, you know?"

"B, it's already graduation day. It's too late for us to even ponder on how bomb we'd look in green." Santana answered while looking in the mirror. "But you aren't wrong."

Brittany walked up behind her girlfriend and wrapped her hands around her. "I'm so proud of you, babe. We did this shit."

"Hell yeah we did. Now c'mon. Let's go meet up with everyone. We supposed to be at the armory in 15 minutes anyway."

The girls told Santana's mom bye, taking some pictures before heading out the door. Lani was already crying, which wasn't surprising.

Once at the armory, the entire class ran through one more rehearsal before getting ready for the actual ceremony. Around 9:30, people started packing into the gym. Santana had butterflies, knowing that she'd be singing the national anthem and Hawai'i Pono'i (the state song).

"You're going to do great baby. Don't be nervous." Brittany said, readjusting Santana's robe. It was about five minutes before they were set to walk into the gym. "Just think of it as another performance with ensembles and you'll be fine."

"You say that as if I don't get nervous every single time I go on stage love." Santana rebutted. "But thank you."

The girls kissed.

"Alright everyone!" One of the guidance counselors said. "It's time. Let's get you graduated."

The class began to walk into the gym. Santana looked around and immediately found her mom amongst the crowd. She waved, smiling from ear to ear.

Once the students were seated, the ceremony began. Santana sang flawlessly as expected, and the speeches began.

"And what do Dragon's breathe?!" The principal used this weird catch phrase that all of the students hated. He always expected the crowd to say fire, but because he was never in full support of the school? They always answered the same.