A Perfect Day

Dra. Georgina Varres – Emilio woke up that morning with her heavy heart. In all her years of being a doctor in the Varess Medical Center, she didn't think that this day would finally come. Today is her last day in the hospital. At sixty - three years old, she will be retiring from the medical world. When she decided that she wanted to be a doctor, she never thought that this day would come. In Georgina's head, she will always wear that white gown, will always roam around the hospital's aisle, talking to patients and making their lives better.

It has been thirty years since she entered the medical field and although that was long, for Georgina, it seems like it was only yesterday. Slowly, Gina climbed down the bed. She will be doing her morning routine. She'll take a bath, get ready, put her make up on, do the things she does every morning before she leaves for the hospital and it was all for the last time.

The last time. She bit her lower lip. Inaamin niyang may sakit siyang nararamdaman tuwing iisipin niyang ito na ang huli. Ang ospital ang buhay ni Georgina. Even when she had four kids running around their beautiful home, for her the hospital always comes first - it was made possible by his ever so understanding husband. Si Thaddeus. The moment she met him, Georgina knew that he will be different, and she was right. Ido was never like those men she used to meet. Ido is understanding, he may have his own ways of getting things done and making things happen, but he is perfect in all the sense of it.

Ido knew that Georgina is not fit to be a housewife. Hindi naging mahirap para sa kanya ang mag-alaga ng mga bata para habang nagtatrabaho si Gina ay hindi ito nag – iisip ng kung ano – ano. Ido took care of the family all these years. Madalas sabihin na ang mga ina ang haligi ng tahanan, pero si Ido, siya ang haligi, siya ang ilaw at siya na rin ang pinakagwapong nilalang sa buong mundo. Her husband is so perfect and she falls in love with him every waking moment of her life. Hindi nga niya naisip na posible palang mangyari na araw – araw mahuhulog ka sa isang tao. Araw – araw ay nadadagdagan ang pagmamahal ni Gina kay Ido at habambuhay niya itong ipagpapasalamat.

For the last time in her career, Gina looked at herself in the mirror as Dra. Georgina Varres – Emilio. She has this habit of playing with her engagement and wedding ring when she is nervous and as of now, she was looking at herself in the mirror doing just that. Hindi nagtagal ay naramdaman niya ang mainit na mga bisig na pumulupot sa kanyang baywang. She immediately knew who it was. Automatically, Gina rested her head on his shoulder and sighed. Ido kissed her temple, mas lalo pa nitong hinigpitan ang pagkakapalupot ng mga bisig nito sa kanyang baywang.

"Bakit malungkot ang beshy ko?" Wala talagang seryosong moment sa taong ito. Gina rolled her eyes at pabiro niyang hinampas ang braso ni Ido. She, then faced him and wrapped her arms around her neck. She pouted a bit – gusto nga niyang pagalitan ang sarili niya dahil anong klaseng sixty – three years old na babaeng mgre-retire na sa trabaho ang gaganoon sa asawa nito? It's just that she really couldn't believe that this her last day of work.

"Ayaw mo pa bang mag-retire, Mahal ko? Pwede naman. Ang sabi ko sa'yo tanggapin mo iyong inaalok sa'yong directorship ni Marcus. Aba'y deserve na deserve mo iyon, Georgina ko!" As usual, he was using that proud tone again. Gina rolled her eyes and hugged him tighter. "Kung ayaw mo ang isang bagay, bakit mo naman gagawin, hindi ba?"

"Hindi sa ayaw ko..." Mahinang wika niya sa asawa. Tears started falling from her eyes but she wanted to hide it. She needed to have this conversation with him. She needed to tell hom what's on her mind because Ido deserves to know and she wants him to know. Gina bit her lower lip before looking at her husband for thirty – five years. Ido blinked, and then she slowly smiled.