Chapter 8: Birthright

Zacznij od początku

You seek solace in knowledge.

Books become your very best friends. The older you get, the easier reading becomes—you leave behind folktales and children's myths to begin browsing through tomes with smaller letters and larger, more difficult words. Stories turn into histories and treatises on all manner of topics, with dragons, direwolves, men, and the fall of Old Valyria being but some of your preferred subjects of study. You learn the names of the Lannister kings before the Conquest; you gather as many legends on the Age of Heroes as you can; you peruse chronicles detailing the first coming of the Andals to Westerosi shores. Through books, the very land you live upon seems to unfold like a map through time itself, all the secrets of the continent opening themselves up to you through tooled leather and yellowed pages.

It makes Papa immensely proud. "If a woman is to sit the Iron Throne after I am gone," he says, "then perhaps a woman ought to be her right hand!"

You can tell this makes his other Councilmen nervous by the way they share glances. For all that Rhaenyra has been heir for years now, there are still many among the court who believe your brother ought to succeed him. But Papa does not seem to want to change his mind, for he is as determined to see your sister continue to attend Small Council as he always has been.

Still, you take it to heart. Being Hand of the Queen someday means that you will get to stay with your sister even if you are made to be married. It means you will be important in a way that you haven't really been so far. But a good Hand has to know so so much about all the lands and people a King or Queen might encounter during the years of their reign. You outgrew Septa's lessons moons ago, and the more you read, the more it becomes apparent that books aren't enough to teach you all you need to know. There is no one and nothing that can help you become the cleverest possible version of yourself in King's Landing—at least, not one willing to do such a task. The maesters would not abide by schooling a girl in the higher arts.

Thus, you firmly decide upon the gift you would like for your name day. Standing in the King's solar two moons before the occasion is to take place, you impart your desire to your audience of one.

"I wish for a tutor, please," you tell Papa. "Someone who can teach me anything I wish to know."

Papa laughs. "And what is it you wish to know, my girl?" he asks. You are unsure if he is amused or delighted by your request.

His question makes you think. What do I want to know? There is no single answer you can produce. How do you describe the feeling of wanting to know something you don't know enough about to be sure you want to learn it?

"Anything," is what you reply with. "Everything."

"Anything and everything." Papa takes a drink from his cup, his nose scrunching when the liquid inside hits his tongue. You do not think it is wine. He returns the cup to the table beside him, reaching his hand out to you. You move forward to take it. "A lofty request. But you are soon to be ten summers!" He grins. A scab at his temple cracks with the motion. "That, I think, is a milestone worthy of celebration. Very well, daughter," he says with a grunt. "If a tutor is what you want, then a tutor we shall find."

He stays true to his word. Not long after you make your appeal to him, all manner of strangers the Realm over make their way to King's Landing to seek an audience with you and Papa. It is the first time you are allowed to remain by his side in the Great Hall, though it means you must balance atop a twist of melted-together swords to rest your rear against the edge of the armrest, one of the few places upon the Throne that cannot cut you should you make contact with it. Papa insists, however, for these people have gathered to seek employment with you, and so you must be the one to approve them.