Chapter 5: Forgotten

THE PRINCESS

When Alicent gets married to Papa, they have a big ceremony. So so many people come from all over the kingdom to see Papa take a new Queen, and the days of the wedding—there are lots of days to them starting in marriage—are full of more noise and colour and movement than you could ever think was real.

Her dress is very pretty, and Papa looks very nice in his new coat, but neither of them look so happy as people who are going to be in marriage should be. Papa keeps playing with the ring on his finger that is from Mama, while Alicent just looks like she is afraid. You think it might be because of how loud everyone is being.

'Nyra isn't happy, either. She keeps you on her lap the entire time with an angry look on her face and doesn't speak to Alicent very much at all, but at least she tries to be kind when she does. She ignores Papa, and because you are all sitting at the high table and everyone is watching you, he cannot tell her she is being rude and naughty.

Because you don't want to look at Alicent's unhappy face or 'Nyra's angry one, you play with your sister's necklace, letting the shiny metal take all your attention. It is Valyrian steel, which is what Papa's and Uncle's swords are made out of, so it is very special. Uncle gave it to her. When you let your fingers swirl over the ruby in the middle of the big pendant over and over, you pretend that it's a part of him and that he's here, after all.

After the big ceremony is done, life goes back to almost-normal. Now that Alicent is Papa's Queen, she is something called a stepmother, meaning that Brella and Septa and all the people who are made to look after you and 'Nyra have to talk to her about you both. She is like your mama. You wake up and break your fast with Alicent, and she cuts up your food instead of Mama, and she takes you outside to play and tells you about the names of the flowers. Then, when it is time to sleep again, she reads you a story. You think that she likes it very much because she always seems sad until she sees you, and then her face goes bright like the sun.

'Nyra doesn't like it. She doesn't like it at all. When she learns that Alicent is acting like your mama, her face goes very red like she's going to scream, but she just goes very quiet instead and storms out of your rooms. For that whole day, 'Nyra takes you to the gardens and to see Syrax and to the library to learn some more High Valyrian, her new sworn shield Ser Criston behind her all the time. She never once lets you go see Alicent to do the things you normally do. When you finally get to be in the room with her at suppertime with Papa and 'Nyra, which Papa has said you all must do now so that everyone can get along, all she does is give you a small smile that doesn't make her eyes go bright like usual and ask about your big day with your sister.

That is how things are for a while. Either you will go through your days with Alicent or with 'Nyra, and never both in one day because 'Nyra is still so angry at Alicent for being in marriage with Papa. You keep asking why, but your sister doesn't tell you anything. She just goes quiet and frowns and mutters things you cannot hear. Meanwhile, Alicent will always stop, take a big breath that sounds shaky when she lets it out, and say, "I have no quarrel with Rhaenyra. She is as welcome to my rooms and in my company as you are, Princess."

You think that might be a lie.

One day, though, everything changes.

'Nyra decides to take you to the library so that you can look at more books in High Valyrian. Even the books written in the Common Tongue make no sense to you yet, and Brella told you this is because you are not old enough to learn reading properly. Still, your sister says that it is still good to try when you're young, so she sits beside you and points out all the funny-looking symbols and tells you what they mean all together. You fall asleep in there instead of having a nap in your bed, but 'Nyra just puts a blanket over you and keeps reading. When you wake, you listen to her voice as she speaks the words from the pages aloud. You don't understand all of it, but you think you've learned more and more since Mama died and she stopped being friends with Alicent. It means she has lots of time for you. Maybe that shouldn't make you happy, but you cannot help it.