Chapter 5: Forgotten

Start bij het begin

At supper, you see Lord Hightower, Alicent's papa, beside her. That means that you have to be next to 'Nyra tonight, so you follow her to her side of the table and sit in the chair that the maid pulls out for you. The chair is higher than the others, made special so that you can reach the food that is put before you. Looking around, it is easy to tell that something is different from how happy Lord Hightower looks and how smiling Papa's face is.

"My two daughters," he says a bit too loudly, cheeks bright red. His cup is in front of him, and the gold shines red from the drink inside. Wine, you think. It is for men and women, not little girls, and it makes the people who drink it act strange like Papa is now. He waves his hand in a 'hello' as he lifts his cup to his mouth and takes a sip. "Ah!"

'Nyra starts eating her food without a word. Everyone has plates with different foods on it, but you have a bowl in front of your seat. Because you are small, the cooks always give you pottage for your supper so that you can eat it with a spoon and no one has to cut things up for you. You don't always like it—there are lots of lumps and you can never tell what taste is going to be in your mouth with each bite—but it is warm and makes your tummy nice and full.

The room is full of the sounds of chewing and clack-clacking when the knives and forks hit the plates. You pick up your spoon and scoop up some food. There are dark bits, which means the cooks have put meat in it. You scrunch your nose.

Papa coughs between bites. He is still smiling a lot. "It seems like an age since I saw you last!"

"We had supper with you yesterday evening," 'Nyra says.

"Ah, yes!" He takes another drink of his wine. Maybe he shouldn't, because he is blinking very much like you do when you're trying to stay awake. "Perhaps the waiting has made it seem longer."

"Waiting?"

"I am sure you have noticed Otto's presence by now."

'Nyra doesn't even look at the man. "My lord." Her voice seems cold.

"Princess." Lord Hightower bends his head, but he doesn't sound very happy either.

Alicent puts her hand on Papa's arm. 'Nyra watches so closely that you wonder if her eyes can make holes in other people's skin. "I—we—have some news, Rhaenyra."

"Oh?" She sounds bored.

"Well..."

When Alicent doesn't say anything, 'Nyra makes a huffing noise. It is very rude. "Well?" she asks, looking between Alicent and Papa. "What is it, then? Everyone's acting rather strange."

"Alicent is with child," Papa says.

'With child' is what people say when a baby is growing in a lady's belly. It's what Mama told you before Baelon grew very large inside her.

'Nyra freezes, almost like she has forgotten how to move. No one says anything. Papa's smile—the one that his words made so much bigger when he said them out loud—begins to fall, more and more with each moment that 'Nyra does nothing at all. Then, it goes away completely, and he's no longer happy like he was.

It's quiet again. Not the nice kind—the kind that means that someone is about to yell or be naughty.

"A baby?" you ask. Maybe you can stop the bad from happening if you help everyone remember that you're still here.

Alicent looks at you, the fear leaving her face a little. She nods. "Yes, Princess. You're to have a brother or sis—"

"Half-brother." 'Nyra's lips move, but the rest of her stays still. She cannot stop staring between Papa and Alicent. "Or half-sister. Either way, they will not be your full blood."