chapter seven: seeing through the cigar smoke.

(Y/n) POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The second I step into the courtyard I feel free and unburdened. The shocks leave me as the cold seeps into my very bones. I'm at peace for the first time since I leave my garden.

I let out a relieved sigh and start to wander. The courtyard is small, though it has lots of doors that lead back into the castle. It feels magical, being in the snowy courtyard. The snow crunches under my feet as I walk around statues and vases that were left in the cold.

As I walk around, my thoughts begin to become annoying and in abundance. Why has Alcina been acting so odd around me? Sure, I'm a new person in her family...but does that warrant the amount of secrecy she seems to have towards me? I want to find out why she's acting like this, I want her to know she can trust me...I want her to know I'm worthy of my place.

A sqeak from under a statue gains my curiosity. With a newfound interest, I run to the statue and look under it. A little mouse family is hiding there...adorable. I haven't seen many animals since I left the garden, I nearly forgot how peaceful it is to simply be near them.

The mice sqeak, alarmed at my presence. I feel a little disappointed that they became so unhappy with me so quickly...then again, I'm an unfamiliar creature breaking into their home. Poor things, I should leave them be.

"Hello, little creatures...don't worry, I'll be leaving your home shortly."
I chuckle. As I walk away from the statue that houses so many small things I grow bored once more. I wish she let me be somewhere bigger than the courtyard...but she'd never let me outside. Mother Miranda wouldn't let me, so Alcina wouldn't even think of it.

I sit on a concrete bench and yawn. It's so early and yet I'm already waiting to go back to sleep. Is this going to be my life? For years to come, will I be waiting for sleep to fill my otherwise boredom-filled life? How dull. I miss my garden...I miss Mother Miranda's kind teachings. I don't want to be ready anymore, I just want my life to go back to what it was like before.

Rustling somewhere distant snaps me out of my thoughts long enough to get curious. I haven't seen any animals since I left the garden, maybe I could try to find whatever animal is over there? Of course, it could always be something more dangerous than an animal...but I think I could handle whatever situation I find myself in.

I start walking towards the sound, ignoring the crunch of snow that once left me satisfied but now makes me crane my neck to listen to the animal. I get to the wall of the courtyard and sigh, disappointed that I can't follow whatever animal it was after all.

"Huh...new wall."
A voice on the other side startles me and makes me take a step back. I stand there in silence, the cold air now feeling painfully annoying as it keeps me from quickly turning and telling Alcina of the person.

Alcina needs to hear of this...it could be somebody dangerous.

Every single thing in me tells me to leave, to tell Alcina and get this person to leave...though one thought comes in with the shocks.

...what if it's a good person? It could be anyone beyond that wall. Of course that means there's a chance I could find trouble...but there's also a chance that I'm supposed to find that trouble. Mother Miranda said that I was destined for greatness. In that logic, destiny has many things in store for me. This could be destiny...a part of my life I need to see through by simply looking over that wall.

I need to see them. I need to, at least for a moment.

With the unwanted though winning against the rest, I shake my head at my own mental troubles and begin to look for a way up the wall. It's a tall wall, around 11 feet or so...far too tall for me to see over it. The muttering of the mystery person continues, I start to wonder if this person is possibly insane by the sound of their constant mumbles.