Huit

The café Harry had driven me to was quite crowded, plenty of people sitting at small tables enjoying their brunch outdoors in the warm Parisian sun. Women with sunhats and large sunglasses enjoyed meals next to men in colorful shirts with gleaming gold wristwatches.

Harry had pulled up to the curb and gotten out, hurrying over to my side of the car and opening the door to help me out. His hand was held out to me as I stepped out of the car, my hand taking his politely and allowing him to lead me to the sidewalk in front of the café. A valet came to take the car away, but before the young man got into Harry's car, Harry had placed his hand firmly on the valet's shoulder, telling him something quickly in French. The valet boy had quickly nodded and continued to the car, driving it away carefully to be parked.

"What did you tell him?" I asked as Harry held the café door open for me.

"That there better not be a single scratch on that car when he brings it back." Harry informed me after we both stepped into the small café together.

There were tables and people everywhere, more than I could imagine would fit into the restaurant. Waiters and waitresses moved quickly yet carefully through the labyrinth of diners, silver trays being carried away and menus picked up as orders were filled and eaten. The occasional chatter of people or scraping of silverware against plates was abundant, people all enjoying their delicious smelling and tasting meals. A hostess in a white dress came over to us, looking us over.

"Deux?" She asked in a delicate French accent, Harry nodding before asking her something else, pointing over to a small table for two in the corner of the café.

"Oui, monsieur." She nodded before leading the way, Harry's palm pressing on my lower back to urge me forward as we walked over to the small table Harry had spotted. Harry pulled my chair back for me to sit down like a gentleman. I thanked him as I sat down, straightening out the skirt of my dress as I crossed my legs. Harry took his seat across from me, and the hostess placed two menus in front of us before taking her leave.

I had felt like banging my head against the table when the menus were all in French, but in reality all I did was sigh and bite my lip. I looked over it, hoping there was something in English I would recognize, but sadly there was nothing that was familiar. I looked up at Harry, hoping maybe he could translate some of it, but my eyes turned wide when I saw him smirking at me over his menu.

"W-what?" I asked, making Harry laugh. His dimples popped when he did and his emerald eyes sparkled with amusement.

"You can't read any of it, can you?" He continued to chuckle at me while my cheeks were slowly turning pink as Harry had caught onto me. I shook my head no and set my menu on the table as Harry continued to laugh. "You had the most serious face on while you were trying to read the menu, it was hilarious!"

"Glad to know I make you laugh." I grumbled, Harry smirking at me.

"You are quite possibly the funniest girl I have ever met. First you go into the men's room and then you pretend to read French?" Harry snickered as he shook his head, eyes returning to his menu for a second before flickering back to me.

"You can't blame me. I don't know French." I defended myself, Harry still smiling.

"And yet you're in France? How does that happen?"

I opened my mouth to answer him, but a waitress had come by and asked something, Harry asking me what I wanted to drink. I told him a water was fine, and after he told the waitress what we wanted, she left and we were back to our conversation.

"I'm spending the summer here with my grandfather before I go back to the United States to start college." I told him, setting my lips into a hard line and scrunching my eyebrows together to glare at him. I must have seemed as threatening as a kitten, sitting here in a pastel pink dress that almost matched the shade of my cheeks.