𝐉𝐨𝐧

The journey to Essos had been a tiring one. Jon, Arya, and Jojen had arrived in Astapor weary, but still they took horses and rode the day long trip to Mereen as soon as they docked. Half of Arya's men stayed behind with the ship with her first mate, the other half behind them on horses as well. Jon's geld was a tall copper mare, with a mane to match. It reminded him of Sansa. Arya rode a grey stallion dappled with spots of darker grey, and Jojen a mare of chocolate brown with a long white stripe down her nose. The Mereneese were not very welcoming to strangers, but the lords broke bread and told them nothing of the Lady Danaera's departure, only that she had left suddenly and in the night, and had not been seen since. Jojen was desolate. He was a reliable boy, strong, resourceful, and respectful. He only let his worries show when he thought nobody else was looking. Jon felt for him.

It was not until they found an inn just within the city gates for the night that a lead was discovered. The innkeeper was a large, fat, woman with deep brown skin and long, thick black braids. She wore a simple linen gown with a dirty white apron thrown over top, which was currently collecting beer from the pitcher she was drinking from. She'd been drunk when they arrived and spat, "Another band of foreigners, eh?"

She'd happily accepted their gold, though.

It took Jon and Arya sitting with her through an entire barrel of beer before they could get her to say more. A group of foreigners led by a black-clad, stone-faced woman, traveling with a young girl black of hair, and dressed in rags. "

The girl was quiet," the innkeeper had bellowed suspiciously. "Too quiet. Not a peep from her."

"And the woman," Jojen had interrupted from his place in the corner. "Did she wear any armor or sigil? Was she short of hair?"

"Short hair, yeah," the innkeeper had mumbled, puzzled. "No armor, though."

Jon knew Yara was smart enough to wear nothing that would give away her identity. Lord Kell's spies were still everywhere, dutifully reporting to the Grandmaester in lieu of a Master of Whispers. Yes, Yara Greyjoy was better than that.

"Did they tell you where they were heading?" Arya was direct.

The innkeeper had stumbled over her words, drunken and confused as to why they were asking so many questions, but she finally managed, "The market in Vaes Dothrak. Many foreigners travel there to barter their wares with the savages, when all of the Khalasars come together."

On the third day in Essos, Arya paid a trader for his cart and wares with a heavy bag of gold. Then they all three donned ratted hoods and trousers, before beginning the weeklong journey to Vaes Dothrak. Arya told them what to expect as they traveled. No weapons, only horses and wares. Jon knew Dothraki from his time fighting with them during the Great War. Jojen would be none the wiser; the Dothraki were truly a different breed of people. Jon hadn't expected the city's splendor, though. Danaerys had not allowed their reaving, raping, pillaging and thievery under her rule. Jon had forgotten who the Dothraki are. Arya hadn't. She'd warned Jojen, "Not all the rapers prefer girls. Some like pretty boys, too. Some like horses. You'd better be faster than the horses without that fancy sword."

The statues of the Godsway were what stole Jon's breath. There were so many of them, like capsules of time, telling tales of nations that no longer existed. The walk down the Godsway was treacherous on the feet, long-winded and muddy. It was well worn though, no stones or jagged rocks visible, only a heavily trodden dirt path. They were walking in a sea of carts and animals of all sorts, from livestock to exotic. Peacocks and tigers called from gilded cages, as did prisoners in iron chains. The prisoners cried out from the back of canvas-covered wagons with steel bars. If bought by Dothraki, death was certainly in their near future. The khalasars didn't stay in Vaes Dothrak forever. Jojen was awestruck and wide-eyed as he took in the city. "How are we going to find her in all of this?"