Chapter 14: Laughter

Magsimula sa umpisa

Alias paused. He did this for her.

Of course he did. It seemed that Magnus had all but devoted his life to her health and happiness. It grated on her nerves at times and buried her in guilt other times, but this time Alias found herself caught between deciding whether she wanted to thank him or run away.

Instead, she placed her foot on the ladder and began to climb. She wasn't sure about Magnus's ladder-making skills, but at least if she fell, her wings couldn't possibly be any more damaged.

Magnus watched her climb with a disturbed expression. His thoughts went back to Ratchet and the fact that Alias wasn't even supposed to be walking around yet. Now she was climbing a ladder.

If Ratchet knew how much Magnus was letting Alias get away with, it wouldn't be her health on the line.

Alias reached the top of the ladder and sat down on the branch, wiggling her butt in an attempt to get comfortable. Magnus pursed his derma as he watched, worried he'd not followed the proper directions during installation.

"I like it," Alias decided, looking over at him. "It is a lot taller than most trees, but a nice perch for flying. Almost makes me want to jump off."

She looked over at him, expecting some form of protest to the idea. She wasn't disappointed.

"If you tried to fly now, you would probably become a cake."

"A cake?" Alias laughed. "You mean, a pancake?"

Magnus's frown loosened at the sound of her amusement, but he still bristled. "Regardless, you would be met with a painful death."

"Not if I aim my head right," she argued.

"I don't think cushioning your head will prevent you from dying."

"No," Alias grinned. "I meant aiming my head so that I die instantly instead of painfully."

Magnus sighed. "Of course you did."

The two of them fell into silence, but this time it wasn't awkward. Alias looked around at the various paintings, ignoring the fact that Magnus was watching her.

Stalker.

"You really need to work on your painting skills," Alias told him.

"I doubt I'll need them again."

She raised an eyebrow. "Did you think you'd need them in the first place?"

Magnus glared.

Alias stood up, balancing on the branch. "You know, I think I could fly from right here. My wings are feeling better."

"They're not looking better."

"Hey!"

Magnus crossed his arms. "Sit down before you get yourself killed."

Alias's eyes twinkled mischievously. "If you let me teach you how to paint properly, I'll sit down."

He shot her a pointed look. "The intention of this gift was to remind you of home, not give you reasons to blackmail me."