Chapter Three

Chapter Three:

I awoke to the sound of someone in my room. I lifted my head to it becoming groggy. I slipped back into the darkness.

Becca’s POV:

I watched Sir Shane fall in and out of consciousness over the next few hours. I knew his body needed to heal, but I wanted to know why my friend in court was now being forced to leave. What had occurred between the two where it came to a point that The Duke and Lizzy, who I could not believe I had not spotted, were ousted? I wanted answers and when Lady Becca wanted answered I sure got them.

He groaned and I looked to him. The bruising on his face was coming out and although I wanted answers I still cared that he was hurt.

‘Becca, you stayed’

‘It would appear’ I noted. ‘How are you feeling?’

‘Sore’

I would have said well but I was not a heartless person. In truth I wouldn’t be telling the truth I was worried about him. ‘So what happened out there?’

‘I was a fool’ he admitted.

‘What do you mean?’ I asked raising an eyebrow. ‘Being a fool is making a mistake, I have lost a friend I have at court’

‘Oh you and Charles were close were you?’ he replied.

‘No’ I breathed, ‘Lizzy, her and I practically grew up here in court together’

‘I am sorry, I didn’t realise. I was foolish. I thought that they were just lovers, I did not realise they were in love with each other, if I did I wouldn’t have gone that far’

I looked to him. I could hit him, I really could. In court if people had taken up mistress you kept your eyes open but your mouth shut. You would not go and make so that the King found out. Especially if the person who had taken up the Mistress was the Kings Brother in law. I sighed at the stupidity of the man before me. I knew he was new to court but this was just ridiculous, surely he knew some of the rules.

‘What are you going to do to fix it then?’ I spoke a little more harshly then I should of, I must admit to myself, but it was still very painful to think that Lizzy now had nowhere to go, what if Charles would leave her.

‘I will fix it’ he said. Holding his head. ‘I don’t know how at the moment but I will’

‘My Lord’ I said.

‘Becca, won’t you call me Shane?’

I shook my head, calling him Shane would mean I had forgiven him and I was a long way from doing that, but my heart betrayed me and he moved his hands and gently brushed my hand. I felt the faintest of thuds I had not felt this from a man for a long time. I actually couldn’t remember the last time, I had felt like this. I did but I would not remember this, I could not remember it.  I would not look into his eyes. I would not look into those hazel green eyes which were boring into my own. I altered my gaze.

‘I should be getting back to my duties; Mistress Anne will be expecting me’

‘You will come back?’

‘I don’t know’ I replied.

I walked out of the room and I felt my breath return to me. No Becca you are not falling in love with him, you are not. I kept repeating it in my head as I got on with my duties as a lady in waiting to Mistress Anne.

The Court was buzzing with the news about Lizzy and Charles and how the more astute women among court had not come to realise that they were conducting it right under the noses of everyone. I kept quiet I knew I would be questioned as they knew that I was close to Lizzy. But even I did not know. I got on with my work as I always did. And I tried not to think of an Irish Knight currently in his bed.