Forty-Four - OLD FEELINGS

Start from the beginning

A knock at the door startled her out of her thoughts. “Yes, what is it?”

“Maria, someone is here to see you.” It was her father speaking from the other side of the door.

She was wrong, life just got much better. She jumped up off her bed. “I’ll be there in a moment.”

She rushed to her closet where she dropped her nightgown to the floor and stepped into a day dress. It did not seem that long ago that she and Cade weren’t getting along, but she was happy that part was over. She pulled her hair up and tied it in a knot to hold the mess away from her face. Usually she took her time getting ready but this morning she didn’t care. With a glance in the mirror, she rubbed her face, and cleared her eyes.

She took a deep breath and walked out of her room toward the foyer. Her parents were there waiting by a man standing with a letter in his hand. Her heart sank. No visit from Cade.

Her mother stood looking at her with her usual disappointment. “Maria dear, this man says he has a letter for you.” Calm down mother it’s only a day dress.

The messenger stood with the letter in his outstretched hand. “I was told not to give it to anyone but you, miss.”

She took it and studied her name written on the face.

Maria

Her heart pounded, as she knew it was from Sam. Turning the letter over, she dragged a finger over the wax seal.

“Maria, are you going to open it?” her mother asked hovering over her shoulder.

Maria still could not believe it. She didn’t know what to do.

The man at the door cleared his throat.

Mr. Hallet reached into his pocket. “Thank you,” he said handing the man a few coins. The man gave a bow and left.

Maria stared at the envelope. “I don’t…um…”

Her father put a soft hand on Maria’s shoulder. “Maria darling, why don’t you go to your room where you can have some privacy?”

Maria fanned her face with the letter, still trying to catch her breath. “Yes, I believe I will.”

Sitting on her bed, she touched a fingerprint frozen in the stamped wax. Is it his? She hesitated to break the seal. He had formed it himself and something about breaking it made her sad. However, her curiosity won out and she cracked it open.

My Dearest Maria,

I hope this letter finds you well. It is my tenth in half as many

Months. I have no way of knowing if you have received any of

them, as I am never in one place for any period of time. As you

may or may not know, we were unsuccessful in our salvaging

efforts. I have picked up work on another vessel, of

which I have just become Captain. Some consider the kind of work

we do as barbarous, and I tend to agree. However, if kings and

queens hire crews like us to win wars and further their wealth

and power, then this is my war against kings and queens. for the

powerless. We have been very successful at sea and I wager I’ll be

home before you know it. I love you with all my heart. I could

never have made it this far without you in my thoughts constantly.

You inspire me to be the man that I alone could never be. I will

continue with speed toward our reunion, thinking of you every step

of the way. Until then,

Love always and forever,

Samuel Bellamy

A tear dropped onto the parchment and Maria quickly brushed it off, smearing a bit of the ink with it. She read it repeatedly, crying more each time.

The door opened and her mother walked in and sat by her on the bed. Maria wiped her tears and tried to hide her emotions, but it was too late. “I really don’t know why I’m crying. I have everything I ever wanted.”

Her mother held her hand and kissed Maria’s forehead. “Our hearts don’t always forget what they once felt.”

Maria nodded and gave her mother a smile. This actually made a lot of sense and she really appreciated her mother in this moment.

“Are you going to be all right?” her mother asked.

“Yes,” Maria said as she wiped the tears away. “I’m fine, just a bit shocked is all.”

Maria embraced her mother, then got up and rummaged through her closet.

“Where are you going?” her mother asked.

Maria kept looking in her closet. “I have to go talk to Cade.”