• SHE NEEDS HIM •

AUTHORS NOTE:

"Before I begin the storytelling, I wanted to let you all know that each title will be named after a song that I think fits with the chapter. You are welcome to hear the song while you are reading my story. I always love listening to background music while I read and maybe you do too! I really hope you enjoy my story and feel free to give me any comments...thank you"

summer of 1962

   "We are finally here! Welcome to our new home." My father said enthusiastically as he parked our 1955 Blue Chervon in front of our new lot. I peek my head outside our car window and can't believe how nice ad bigger this house was. The house back in Arizona was a lot smaller, I barely had any space in my room to put any of my things up. I'm glad we moved out here... I can start fresh and possibly make friends here. "Tanya, let's go and help your father move things inside." My mother stated as she struggled to get out of our car. You see, my mother was 7 months pregnant, and her bump was a bit huge. After years of begging my mom and dad for a sibling, I was finally going be an older sister. "Stay their mom, I'll come and help you get up." I got out of the car so fast and ran to the passenger's side to help my mother. "Slowly, slowly..." I grab both of her arms and start pulling her up gently and slowly, not wanting anything to pop. My mother was relived after getting off of the car. She hated long car drives because it would kill her back, she was just happy to be in their new home and finally get to relax. She looked down at me with a big smile on her face. "I am so lucky to have you as my daughter." She squeezes both my cheeks and kisses the top of my nose. "I'm the lucky one!"

My mother walked inside the refurnished house, wanting to sit for bit. Attached to our car was a U-haul where it had all our crap. it was time to make this house finally feel like it's ours. I was going back in forth for an hour now, almost finishing moving everything inside. I go inside to take a small break and get a glass of water...I was sweating like crazy. Thankfully, it wasn't 120 like it would be back home, or else I would've been having a heat stroke by now. As I'm grabbing a cup to drink some water, I hear strangers talking to my mother and father. I peek my head out the kitchen door to get a glance and noticed a nice-looking family. I pour water to my cup and quickly chucked it and possibly meet our new neighbors. 

"Mija, come and meet The Smalls. They are our new next-door neighbors." I smiled and introduced myself to the family. It was a bit scary to say hello to the father, he looked very intimidating. Mrs. Smalls was impressed with how I presented myself to them. I guess it threw her off seeing a 14-year girl act so polite. "It's nice meeting you Tanya, you're such a beautiful girl with proper manners." She began tugging at the boy who I believe was her son, trying to get him to talk. I can tell he was a bit nervous but eventually did end up introducing himself to me. "Uhhm, my name is Scott Smalls. It's a pleasure to meet you." I've never seen anyone so nervous before. I can see tell that it took a lot of courage for him to do that. "It's a pleasure to meet you too!" My family and The Smalls stayed talking for a quite a while trying to get to know each other a bit more. We discovered that they moved in two days ago and were still trying to get familiar with this place. I was glad that someone else was in the same boat as me, I was terrified of being the new kid. I'm relieved that me and Smalls are going to thru all of this together. As the adults continue to talk, I try to make conversation with Smalls and try to get to know him better. 

"Do you want to move to the sidewalk and let them talk? I feel kind of weird just standing in their way." Scott nodded but it looked like he seemed hesitant, maybe just shy. "So, tell me about yourself Smalls. What are you into?" He was trying to think of an answer, it seemed like he's never been asked this question before by anyone. "I uhhm, I'm getting really into baseball...well, I'm trying to. My dad... I mean, Bill offered to teach me how to play catch but he's busy. I don't like bothering him." I was shocked to hear that the man standing Infront of my parents was Scott's stepdad, they looked so much alike. I was excited to know that Scott was getting into baseball, there's something we can bond about. "Hey, I love baseball! I grew up watching and playing baseball thanks to my dad. I've been playing catch with my dad ever since I could walk. If you want, we could play catch together sometime. I'd be happy to teach you!" Scotty gave me a big smile and thanked me for offering. We continued getting to know each other, cracking jokes here and there. While we were talking, we noticed two boys walking towards our neighborhood. One of them was a chubby white kid with red hair and a baseball glove on his hand. The other boy was a bit tall, big brown eyes and tanned skinned. The two boys said their goodbyes and part ways, the boy with the tan skin was walking towards our side. We both couldn't get our eyes off of him. He noticed us staring at him and turned to both of us, I never felt anything close to a heart attack but on that day I did. He nodded to Smalls and gave me a soft smile. He looked back and ran to his house; Smalls and I were in disbelief and a bit embarrassed for staring at him. I started to feel things that I've never felt before, what felt like knots in my throat, butterflies in my stomach and my cheeks burning hot. 

Smalls and I didn't say a word after that whole interaction happened

Smalls and I didn't say a word after that whole interaction happened. We were saved by Mrs. Smalls finally calling it a day. "Come on Smalls, we still have things to put away. You and Tanya can hangout tomorrow." We both quickly get up and walk towards our parents to say our goodbyes. My mother approaches Scott and gets down to his level "Remember Scotty, you are always welcome to come over" Scott scratching his back "Thank you Mrs. Garcia, I really appreciate that." We go our separate ways and for the rest of the day, we organized our house. As busy as I was, I couldn't get that boy out of my head. It was going to be hard to avoid him since he's literally right down the street... but who knows. Maybe he won't want anything to do with me. If I could barely make any friends back home, what makes me think that I'll be lucky enough to make some here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHORS NOTE:

Hopefully you all enjoyed my first chapter of this series. I will possibly write three times a week so please stay tuned! Thank you so much for giving my story a chance, I'll see you all very soon