SIDE Galaxy: The Smile I Fell In Love With

Start from the beginning

"Kyousuke..."

"Nii-chan, she's great at playing! Like you! If we play soccer together, then I can get just as good in no time! And then, we can chase after Gouenji-san together!"

"Gouenji-san...? Do you mean Gouenji Shuuya?"

I remember exploding into a rant about why I idolized him so much. A part of me felt a little regret, thinking you must've been annoyed by me, but...

"Someday, I'll get into Raimon, and then the world tournament, and then I'll be a world class ace striker just like him!"

You had a smile on your face. "Only if you learn to handle the ball correctly."

You teased me, but it didn't make me feel bad at all. Somehow, some way... It actually motivated me.

We saw each other every week after that. You always come and go at the exact same time, so after a few weeks, it was like my body knew when to turn to the gate to see you running in. It also knew when to stop and wave at you while you leave.

But then, that... accident happened.

I was too panicked to notice my surroundings, but when I started to understand that my brother was being taken to the hospital, it was already late. I vividly remember turning to the gate thinking you had left...

Only to realize you were standing right beside me, holding― squeezing my hand.

"He's going to be alright, Kyou. Yuu-san is really strong."

You tried to comfort me even while looking like you wanted to cry yourself.

I remember how tightly I squeezed your hand back and how we chased after the ambulance together.

~~~~~

I nearly quit soccer that time. I told you it was because I wanted to find a way to help get the money for my brother's surgery. I studied hard everyday and kept myself from complaining about anything. Mom and dad had enough to worry about.

I studied and studied and studied. I notice you coming into my room and leaving at the exact same time every week, but I don't remember greeting you that often.

Before I knew it, a whole year had passed. When I finally realized I was pushing you away...

Would you believe me if I told you I broke down crying?

You were my first and only friend, and I heard you say I was yours. I should've treated you better.

When I went to the park that day, I was thinking of how I could apologize. You didn't let me. You just took the ball from my feet and began teaching me to play again, like nothing had changed.

You didn't want me to feel bad, so you kept your smile up as always.

We continued to practice every week from then on. Before we knew it, two whole years had passed. I got better and better and better, until finally...

"H-Huh?" I blinked down at the ball I took from you. "... I did it? I-I really just―"

"Good job, Kyou!" Even though you just lost, you gave me the biggest smile I had ever seen you make. "That was amazing! I knew it! Speed really is your strong point!"

"I won... I really won!"

"Yup, yup!" You clapped for me before suddenly a new expression appeared on your face. "Alright. My turn."

I only blinked once, but you were suddenly right in front of me. Startled, I stumbled back, letting you take the ball easily.

I couldn't do anything but stare at you with my mouth opened.