Chapter 5: New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

"I have a lot of work at the shop today, we can not go today" Appa said as if he wanted this to be the end of the conversation

"I don't have much to do today, I will take her" Amman said

"What about the house and the kids?"

"Jin Hee can take care while I am out with Se Hee, the house will not burn down if I am away for a few hours" Amman said jokingly

This was also a signal for Kim Jo Haak because he knew better when to stand his ground and when to give in to his wife and daughters and this was not the battle he was going to fight. 

Amman and Se Hee got ready and went to the bakery in the afternoon. Calling it a bakery would be an understatement. It was an establishment which seemed notorious to serve only the elite. The decor, the smell, the ambiance, everything about the place screamed elite and posh. To put it simply, it was the very definition of the word 'expensive'. Amman was very aware of this reality but to her it seemed like a perfect opportunity for her daughter to start a very successful journey of becoming a chef. Se Hee on the other hand was happy and excited because she felt that this idea of becoming a pastry chef was maybe her true calling in life. She was finally able to feel a fraction of what Jin Hee felt about studying law.

Both mother and daughter entered the bakery and were blown away, the floor was marble, but it was difficult to tell where the different pieces of marble met, as if the whole floor was made from one giant piece of the most luxurious marble. The bakery had a seating area with thick and rich sofas and arm chairs. The aroma of coffee and freshly baked bread's smell mixed together made the environment weirdly inviting. Those who had travelled far and wide, almost always commented that they feel like they have been transported to Italy or France. 

When Se Hee and Amman reached the main counter of the bakery, there was a very sharp looking young man, who smiled at them out of duty but was very curious to see the two ladies in front of them. They did not look like the usual clientele of the the establishment. They did not look rich enough to be the customers and didn't look like servants who shopped for their employers either, however he was duty bound and welcomed the ladies

"Welcome, what would you like to order?"

"We would like to talk to the owner please" Amman said without missing a beat

"The owner? Why? Is there any issue ma'am?" The employee got serious and worried

"No, there is no issue. Call your owner please."

"The owner is not here right now."

"When will he be here then?"

"I'm not aware of that. You can tell me what your issue is and I will definitely help you"

Amman didn't look like a rich woman but she had sort of confidence that most working class people in Korea lack. This often meant that she navigated difficult situations with much ease or at least it seemed so.

"No need for that. I will speak directly with the owner. What time can we meet him?"

"You can meet him right now." someone exclaimed from the side

There was an old man with a plain expression standing beside them. When he came and stood there, they didn't know, but it had to be a few moments ago as the young man behind the counter would not have told them that the owner was not there.

"Hello sir, it is a pleasure to meet you" Amman said with a smile

"Hello, how can I help you?" The owner was not rude but did not engage in small talk