WATERBOARDING.

one.

―i will baptize the devil from your soul and you'll thank me when this is all over

THERE IS A DISTURBANCE―this is how a story always begins, hisashi knows, there is a disturbance standing outside hisashi' s apartment complex. it is very cold where yatō hisashi lives, but he is used to the cold. it's not supposed to snow for another two weeks, said the weather, but they're experiencing an american christmas this year.

the man is blonde, smiling, and far too short to be all might. he is wearing a mask―hooked into a vultures beak―and a look in his eyes like he wants to tear hisashi apart.

(something very important you need to know about hisashi: he's always stuck out like a sore thumb. stark white hair, bright green eyes, and foreigner freckles splattered across his gaunt, fair, malnourished face. also, his quirk automatically syncs heartbeats to match his, so, like, very noticeable if he's who you're looking for.)

this man is looking for him. this man has found him.

god fucking damn it. the hell does he pay giran for if people can still find him? what did he pay anderson for? a waste of good food money. sock money, even. perhaps, if he was in the mood, mcdonald's money.

"you're him, i presume?" says the blonde man, "scaredy cat, i mean."

yatō hisashi has gone by many names over his life; ku-nīchan, shiro-san, hisashi-sensei, and, in his most recent vigilante escapades: scaredy cat. brought on by his pseudo-little brother―whose actually the neighbors kid―who spends most of his time either with hisashi himself, or by aki-chan. (aki-chan is a god amongst man, a blessing from the heavens, she's also—on a much smaller level, hisashi' s very first boss. and is also terrifying on a level unbeknownst to the local population.)

"no," hisashi responds, as confused as he possibly can, "i can, uh, leave a message, though?"

why would you say that you dumb fucking idiot!? hisashi's common sense demands. hisashi, the self-absorbed asshole he is, completely ignores his sense, as his uncle did before him.

(hisashi's uncle is dead. he doesn't think about it.)

"i'm afraid that's not an option," says the man, and he reaches into his coat (his very, very warm looking coat) and pulls out a polaroid photograph. how old is this guy? geez.. "see, my boss wants you to do something—and it'll be a—a quid or quo of sorts. sort of like a protection fee."