Prologue: Safe Houses and Separation

Liam stared at Carol for a few moments after she told him what had happened. He adjusted the nasal canula in his nose and didn't speak for a few minutes as he looked to be thinking about what to say.

"So, he got to 'em."

Carol nodded. "He found them. Varick suffered a gunshot wound, but more of a severe graze than anything, and Morrigan was shot in the shoulder. Severus got beat up by Redmond after being captured and taken back to the compound, but what they did to Devan and Carmine was worse."

Liam swallowed. He knew what to expect, knowing how cruel Rian was. "What happened?"

"He let Jake Lassiter have at Devan while Carmine watched, unable to stop him."

Liam ground his teeth and nodded. "What happened of it?"

"Well, seems like Jake and his partner Davis underestimated Carmine. He got free and beat them both unconscious. He would have killed Jake if Devan hadn't pulled him off when he did," Carol sighed. "Can't blame him, though."

"I knew I liked that Carmine," Liam nodded. "He's a good man. I'm glad Devan and Kieran have him."

"Yeah, he's got a good heart, to be sure," she nodded. "The FBI raided Callaghan's compound, pulled in a bunch of people. But they've been moved."

"I guess I won't find out where this time," Liam didn't have to be told the answer to that question. He already knew it.

"They've split them up between two safe houses, both in different parts of Missouri. At least, I think they're in Missouri. They could also be in Illinois I suppose. It's within driving distance, and they wouldn't have taken Varick far."

Liam reached over and picked up a foam cup of water and sipped it slowly through the straw. He thought for a long while about the situation. He needed those kids safe. Then, he got to thinking, how had they been found? That house was rarely used by them, not since the kids were small. They all had their own places as official addresses in St. Louis and the surrounding area. The property was even owned under an alias Liam used, so there was no tracing it to the Seath name unless someone did some digging, and there was no reason to do that.

"How?" he asked, looking at Carol. "How in th' world did they get found?"

"We don't know. From what the Seaths were able to communicate with the FBI, it appears their cameras went down, and they knew to tranquilize the dog. I hate to say it Liam, but I think someone on the inside was helping."

"But who?" Liam asked the question out loud, but didn't expect an answer, of course.

That was the question. It had to be someone in the FBI or in O'Brien's own people. It could have been either. Liam knew that, because he had people in Rian's camp, so it wasn't unheard of that Rian had turned one of Liam's men. And Liam had people in the FBI, as well. So, it well could have been either.

"Lass, I want you to contact someone."

"Who might that be, Liam?" she asked, frowning.

"He mighta got picked up by the FBI when they went after Rian's people. He was a good boy, one of them like Devan, drugged up and strung out. Name is Simon Grant. Gangly kid. Found him turning tricks in one o' Rian's brothels he put up here. Got him out, cleaned up, and asked if he'd want to work for me on the inside. He agreed, said he was grateful that I helped him out of that life. Boy's a technology genius, too." Liam sighed. "See if you can't get hold of him."

"I'll do what I can," Carol said. "Is that all?"

"Until I make my next move," he nodded.

"Might I ask what that move is?" she wondered, slight smile upon her lips.