His Baba, one of the greatest warriors, broke his leg during training. Xiaotian almost laughed and thought they were joking until he realized his Dad was honestly trying to convince him of this. When he looked at his Baba for confirmation, Macaque had simply looked away and sipped his tea- Clearly cringing at Wukong's own horrible fib. But was unable to say so less he admits it was something else that broke his leg.

Did they think he was still 5 or something?

They told him nothing. Xiaotian was pissed about this, at first. However, as the weeks went by and as they started disappearing more frequently, an unexpected silver lining emerged- his parents were leaving the house more and more often.

Their absence granted him precious moments alone with his own thoughts. No longer did he feel their breath on his neck, suffocating him with their presence.

This granted him... An opportunity.

He was 17 now.

How sad was that? 17, and he's barely been on his own.

Well, he wasn't having that. Not for a moment more.

When his parents mentioned their plans for a short journey to the celestial realm, he bid them farewell with a smile. He embraced them tightly, planting a tender kiss on their cheeks. He even gave his Dad two- just for good measure.

His Dad looked stunned, wide-eyed, and his mouth hanging open. "You're- not going to ask to come with?" He had prepared every excuse under the book to try and get Xiaotian to stay home. For the very first time, he didn't want Xiaotian to remain at home due to illness. No, it was because he wished to shield his son from the harsh realities of the world- or, more correctly, the war that was tearing a good junk of the Celestial Realm apart.

He wanted to shield his boy from the concept of bloodshed and how close it grew.

Xiaotian held up a rather thick book, "Nah. Red Son sent me this to read." He shakes the book. "He was insisting that it's the story of all stories." Of course, he had already read this book in a single sitting in his room. It was an overly detailed story with a heavy focus on a totalitarian government and the characters struggling to survive such a situation.

Really political. Really boring.

All adorably right up Red Son's alley, the dork~

"If it's good, let me know." Macaque smiled at their child, brushing some of Xiaotian's bangs behind his ear. "Want us to bring you back anything?"

"Anything I might want would be stolen from another, soooo, probably not," Xiaotian smirked cheekily. "But if Unkey Azure offers his sword, I'll take it."

"Har har." Wukong ruffled his hair. Xiaotian ducked his head a little. For a moment, Wukong thought Xiaotian might nuzzle his hand... But he didn't. Wukong concealed his disappointment, careful not to let it seep into his tone. "Don't throw some wild party for the tribe. You know how hyper they get." Wukong says.

"They bring the wild into wild party." Xiaotian wiggled his eyebrow.

Wukong snorted, a sense of delight washing over him as he engaged in this candid conversation with his little boy. His tail couldn't help but wag, hopeful that his son was slowly but surely warming up to him again. Macaque, though a bit skeptical, wisely chose to withhold any doubts about his son's intentions, at least for the time being.

Their boy was smart, so he was sure whatever it was Xiaotian was scheming in that little head of his, it would be fine. Macaque trusted him not to do anything rash.

"When will you be back?" Xiaotian inquired, following his parents to the edge of the waterfall.

"Be back in a few hours," Wukong tells him. Standing at the open entrance of their home Xiaotian waved. With both his parents on Wukong's magical cloud, they waved back at their son.