When you know, you know.

Start from the beginning

He learned how to hand make the noodles and broth, which was surprisingly time consuming when MK attempted to do it, but was seamless when Pigsy gave it a go. "Years of experience, Kid." Pigsy explained to him.

Smiling at MK, he noted the redness of his cheeks. He didn't comment on them at first, thinking it was just the heat of the kitchen. It wasn't until after the cooking was done and the stove was cool that he realized the red remained..

"You feeling okay, kid?" Pigsy asked as he slid the boy some water. The child gingerly sipped the glass, eyes wide.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Pigsy and Sandy glanced at each other. Excusing himself for a moment, Sandy returned with a thermometer to check the boy's temperature. "Let me just check." He held it to MK's forehead, pulling it back to discover the boy had a light fever. "Oh no." Sandy frowned, "I think you are getting sick, MK."

The boy's head lowered, fiddling with the apron he insisted on wearing, even though their time in the kitchen was long since done. "It's fine." He says, "I think I was just out in the heat too long today."

After a few hours, the mild fever was still there. It was clear in the redness of MK's cheeks and the aching of his body. What surprised them more was that it didn't seem to deter the boy in any way. Since it was mild though, they weren't too concerned. A good night's sleep tended to clear these things up.

When it didn't and instead progressed to the next day, getting worse, Tang and Pigsy started to fret. They got MK into bed with some warm soup and a wash cloth over his forehead. All at once they were reminded of MK's hospital records.

Tang touched Pigsy's arm, as pale as a ghost. "S-Should we get him to a hospital?"

"I can call one right now-!" Sandy offered.

MK was whining to stop them, holding his hands up. "I'm okay." He makes a few calming hand gestures, startling the three adults with his easy smile. "This happens all the time." He relaxed, closing his eyes to exhale. "I'll be better soon." He adjusted the washcloth. Expecting them to leave after that, MK peeked one eye open when he heard some chairs sliding across the wooden floor.

Pigsy and Tang were pressing the chairs to the side of the bed, sitting against them as Sandy left to fetch some tea. He returned with the kettle and cups on a large tray, sitting at the end of MK's bed with some books.

"Well you rest up now," Tang took MK's hand, patting it. The boy's expression couldn't be wider.

"What are you all doing?" He asked.

Pigsy titled his head, "What does it look like we're doing?" He yanked one of the reading material's Sandy snagged, flipping open the newspaper. As he skimmed through it, he could feel MK still staring at him. "...What?" He finally asked, wanting to know just what the kid was so fascinated about.

"Um..." MK openly gawked, "I just- you don't have to stay?"

"What? Why would we leave?" Tang says, genuinely surprised. "You are sick." He pressed his fingers to MK's heated cheek. He snagged the wash cloth to dip it back into the bowl of water they had next to the bed. Wringing it out he returned it to his Son's forehead.

They wouldn't admit it to MK, but after reading his documents at the Orphanage and understanding that this unexplainable sickness was something they would have to deal with sooner or later, made the two worry. There wasn't a thing anyone could do to help him. He knew that, Pigsy and Tang knew that. The whole Orphanage knew that. Which was probably why he was left alone a lot, neglected. Pigsy and Tang couldn't fix the unfixable, but they could make sure MK wasn't alone.