you never gave a warning sign

277 A.C

She observed as the children frolicked in the water, her mind drifting back to a time when she and Oberyn had reveled in the same joy during their youth. A wistful smile graced Elia's face as she reminisced about those cherished moments. However, her smile quickly faded when her gaze landed on a little girl playing in the water who bore a resemblance to Rhaenys.

This girl, though older and with shorter, bouncy curls, seemed eerily similar to Rhaenys. Elia's heart ached at the thought of her daughter, who had only visited the Water Gardens once and had been too small to join the other children in the water. Elia had harbored hopes of returning with her and Aegon but then Rhaegar left, and war broke out.

She forcefully pushed those heart-wrenching thoughts from her mind, unwilling to dwell on the memories of her beloved children, the children she knew she could never have back again. The painful notion that had briefly crossed her mind— no, I can't, I can never be with him —she banished as well.

Instead, she redirected her attention to her father, seated beside her. He had withdrawn into himself ever since a letter arrived from Driftmark, bearing news of his brother, Lord Aethan Velaryon's illness. When Elia had first learned of the news, it had taken her by surprise. From her recollection of her previous life, her uncle had never fallen prey to any significant sickness, certainly nothing as severe as this.

Elia had gone to the Sept to pray, offering her heartfelt prayers for her dearly beloved uncle.

Help Lord Aethan, help him just as you helped me.

"Father," she whispered gently, and his gaze immediately found hers.

She had intended to offer words of comfort, but before she could, her brother rushed in from the castle's arched doorway.

"A letter," he announced breathlessly, "from Driftmark,"

Her father rose to his feet at once. "News about my brother?"

Oberyn nodded solemnly. "Mother is waiting for you," he replied, his voice betraying a hint of emotion. However, their father seemed oblivious to it.

There's something more he wants to say.

Without uttering another word, Lucerys sped back into the castle.

Oberyn hesitated, his gaze alternating between the castle and Elia, appearing lost in thought.

"What's troubling you, Oberyn?" she inquired, her voice firm yet gentle as she stood up from where she had been sitting to stand next to her brother.

Her brother shook his head, his dark curls swaying with the motion.

"Mother seemed distressed when she read the letter," he stated somberly. "When I asked her what happened, she simply told me to fetch father,"

Elia paused, allowing his words to settle in. She took a moment before voicing her question. "Do you suppose—do you suppose uncle has passed away?"

The question left a bitter taste in her mouth. Could he truly be gone? In her first life, he had been there to witness her wedding to Rhaegar, to meet Rhaenys. Even when her parents hadn't, he had. It wasn't until after the war started that he died, alongside Uncle Lewyn, at the Trident.

Oberyn's voice interrupted her thoughts. "I don't know, but—" he regarded her with mournful eyes. "I believe so," he said softly.

Neither spoke as they headed back into the castle.