17: Intertwined Bloodlines

Start from the beginning

"Is something wrong with mother?" Annika faced Nina feeling the agonizing pain in her chest intensify.

"No—She's doing better." She didn't stop staring at Devyn in complete astonishment. "She should be—She should be coming up soon—I need some fresh air." Without another word, she rushed out of the house.

Annika headed outside to make sure Nina was okay. At the front of the house was parked a sleek red car she knew too well. Demarcus had Nina in an embrace as she cried like never before. He seemed to stare into the distance as he obviously struggled to stop his anguish from spilling to the surface.

Annika couldn't take the sight and headed back inside. The second she stood in front of the large sofa, the wall across began to flicker, and then it became glass-like in the shape of an arched door. Jeanette walked through, helping a barely awake Gabriel walk. The portal vanished within seconds before they both fell to the ground.

Devyn and Luna rushed to Jaenette's side as Annika and Scarlet checked on Gabriel. Annika screamed for help. Demarcus and Nina rushed inside. Demarcus wasted no time and used his unique healing ability.

Then it hit Annika.

She stared wide-eyed at the glowing web-like marks that matched Devyn's. Devyn stared at Demarcus, curiosity evident in his expression.

"What happened?"

Jeanette raised her hand and, as an act of magic, a sword Annika hadn't noticed, vanished. "I'm so sorry." Then she fainted.

"She's not human," Nina said in astonishment.

"Yes, she is." Luna raised Jeanette's arm to show a bracelet that seemed to have electricity flowing through it. "This helps protect her. Her father gifted it to her long ago."

No one spoke again.

Gabriel seemed to wake up but wasn't strong enough yet to walk on his own, so Annika and Demarcus helped him up to his room. Once he lay on the bed, he passed out, presumably needing rest to fully recover.

To everyone's relief, the lacerations on his arms and across his cheek healed.

"Why did no one keep an eye on him as well? He must have gone to find the one responsible for Mason's death."

Nina stood at the opened door. "It was a mistake we won't make twice... I'll go check on Kiroko."

Annika didn't move from her brother's side. Neither did Mikaela nor Demarcus. About an hour later, Jeanette walked in. The pack doctor had stitched her wounds up. She stood beside the bed Gabriel still slept in and grabbed hold of his hand.

Mikaela shot her a look of mistrust. "What are you?"

"I'm human."

"I find that difficult to believe."

"Why? Because I am good with weapons? I'm human and so is my mother—my father wasn't, though." She hesitated. "He was exiled for not completing his mission and terminating a threat." She faced them now and raised her hand as the blade emerged from the bracelet, electricity flowing through the intricate silver marks carved into it. "He was a slayer."

Annika was left dumbfounded. Slayers weren't welcomed on pack land. No one trusted them, even if Julius had made a peace treaty with their leader.

Demarcus's eyebrows knitted together as his eyes flickered amber. "Does Gabriel know?"

"He knows everything about me."

Annika smiled when Gabriel woke up. After getting out of bed, he hugged Jeanette. As he pulled away, he cupped her face, eyes narrowed.