Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

"Get dressed," he ordered before shutting my bedroom door.

I grinned, getting up from the bed and grabbing my uniform from the closet. It'd be the last day I'd ever have to wear one. I silently cheered to myself.

After showering quickly and throwing on some light make-up, I hurried down the stairs and into the hallway. I slipped my shoes on and made sure my necktie wasn't crooked. "I'll be back in a bit," I called, unsure of where Paul was.

"What? You're leaving?"

"Yes. I told you I have projects to hand in!"

He popped his head out of the kitchen. "But I called out sick to be with you."

"Teachers shouldn't do that, you know."

"Well, after today, I'm not a teacher anymore."

"Huh?"

His green eyes crinkled. "I teach senior labs. I won't have any more students after today and there's no lab today anyway. I still have to go in for final grades, but that's it. Then I'm done. The original teacher will be back next year."

Somehow this fact surprised me a little. The whole time I knew Paul was just a substitute, but it felt a bit weird knowing he wouldn't be at the school anymore. I knew he wasn't certified to be an actual teacher too, but it was kind of sad. It was fun to have a teacher like him. No one else would ever get to learn from him...

"Just hand in your projects and come back, okay?"

"It's the last day of classes, Paul. I'm going to say goodbye to my friends."

"Fine. I guess I'll wait here."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Maybe you shouldn't have called out on the last day. Don't be crabby."

"I'm not crabby."

"Bye, Paul."

"Bye, Allie. Have fun."

I paused with one foot out the door. "...I love you."

"Love you too," he responded, making a kissy noise. "Happy birthday again!"

I smiled and stepped fully out, shutting the door behind me. The sun was already high in the sky, reminding me of how late I was. But it was beautiful and warm. Fitting for my last day ever as a high school student.

I basically skipped to my car, sliding in and rolling down the windows. As soon as I pulled onto the street, my phone rang. Thinking it was my mom, I answered it quickly. "Hello?"

No one said anything.

"Hello? Mom?"

"I'm not your mom."

I recognized the voice instantly. "Elliot!" I said happily.

"Ugh, lower your voice. You don't have to shout."

"How are you? I miss you so much! Have you learned a lot? How come you don't call more often?" I questioned, letting out the barrage. I sort of felt like a naggy housewife but I was curious. He rarely ever called me and he maybe sent me a text message twice a day if I was the first to text him.