"It is obvious," I finally admit. "We can do it."

Sire immediately smiles, the tension melting from his face. After what I did, I don't think he thought me saying yes to aligning with him was a guarantee, unlike the mate bond.

"Are you ready to be connected to me like that?" He asks, raising a curious brow.

I rub the back of my neck. That part I'm nervous about, but I will get used to it. I'm sure it isn't much different from the mate bond.

"I basically am connected to you like that now. You know everywhere I go," I remind him, laughing a little. The fact that he was able to track me down so quickly is both disturbing and fascinating.

"It's part of my power," he explains casually, shrugging. "How does tomorrow sound?"

"Works for me," I tell him tightly.

The sooner the better, for the fate of everyone. Plus, Carran should be too busy thinking I'm going to be aligning with him to notice anything being out of the ordinary.

"So, you're not angry?" I ask tentatively, remembering the quiet rage when he first brought me back here.

He frowns, looking out across the room and through the window, where the tree's wave gently in the breeze. He lets out a long, slow breath, forcing himself to be calm.

"The thought of Carran touching you like he would have if you went through with the ceremony fills me with more rage than I care to admit," he says carefully, the dark shadows beneath his eyes seeming to intensify despite the lightness in the room.

"It's not happening now," I remind him, painting on a smile before it fades at the reminder of why going through with this isn't so simple. "But there is still the issue of you killing him."

"I'm starting to realise I've been paying attention to the wrong things," he murmurs. "I need to make you mine, and if that means holding off, I'll do it."

My brows raise. I had expected some more resistance, or for him to blatantly tell me he is going to kill Carran the moment the curse has ended.

"Holding off, huh?" I say lightly, feeling the need to be humorous to get past my shock.

He wants to make me his. The thought is thrilling, my heart thundering against my ribs, but it's also terrifying.

The corner of his mouth curves upward. "For a bit, at least."

I step toward him, grabbing both his hands in mine. "Thank you."

His gaze softens and he squeezes my hand. For the first time since I met him, I feel ready to take the plunge into the unknown with him. I'm just hoping he keeps his end of the bargain with Carran, and actually holds off long enough for us to come up with a non-invasive answer to our problem.

Because regardless of any way I feel, I know Sire would be a good Alpha. He needs to be Alpha again.

"What do you think it's going to feel like to be aligned?" I ask him.

"Incredible. It will be a feeling I've waited for forever," he says earnestly. My skin warms. I've wanted a mate forever, and now I'm getting a mate bond, and even more...I should be jumping up and down in celebration.

"Can you tell me more about what life was like before you were cursed?" I ask, trying to steer the conversation in a different direction before I get too caught up in thinking about tomorrow.

Regardless of my decision to go through with this, I'm still nervous.

Sire's expression grows grave before he brushes past me, walking toward the glass doors. "It was lonely, mostly. I loved my Pack, but many feared me."

"I'm sorry." I follow him out onto the balcony, letting the warm breeze glide over my skin.

Sire looks down at me, the light brightening the depths of his ocean blue eyes. "I dreamt of my mate. Every day, even when I was being threatened."

"I hope I'm enough for you." I swallow past a thick lump in my throat.

It hasn't gone unnoticed by me that Sire's power is remarkable, and I am just a girl who was destined to live a normal, mundane life. In many ways I don't feel like an equal to him, like I deserve to be a mated to him, let alone be a Luna of a Pack one day.

"You are everything I've ever wanted," he insists gently, looking down at me like I'm crazy for even bringing that up.

All the thoughts breeze out of my head as I stare up at him, my gaze slowly drifting down to my lips. I don't want to live in doubt anymore, I just want to drown in him.

"Kiss me," I breathe.

He doesn't hesitate, but he takes his time, dipping his head down slowly to press his lips against mine.

I melt into the feeling of his hands as they hold the side of my face. His kiss doesn't push me, and doesn't go beyond something gentle and sweet, even if I want it to.

Tomorrow we will be aligned, and more than a sweet kiss will be needed to complete the ceremony.

And even though I'm afraid, I'm ready.

🤍••🤍

Want more?? This story is available 10 chapters ahead on Goodnovel! (:

Thanks for reading (:

Check out The Alpha's Prize on Wattpad now!!

"...I've never had an orgasm before!" I blurt out, backing away a few steps.

He sits up, dark hair ruffled and messy from the fingers I ran through it. His eyes, once wide, slowly darken.

"You what?" He breathes.

~Midika 💜🐼

~Midika 💜🐼