Chapter 1: Chicago on a Whim

The afternoon had a distinct chill in the air, but it carried an inviting quality. It reminded her of those typical nights in Cambridge, after enduring a grueling 12-hour shift at the hospital. Strolling along Babraham Road, she would pass the serene Wandlebury Country Park. With its tranquility, Cambridge stood in stark contrast to the bustling streets of London. It was a place of less pomp and circumstance, where silence reigned supreme—much like the current parking lot she found herself in. It seemed peculiar, considering there was a concert about to start inside the stadium, set to attract no less than 50,000 people. However, perhaps it wasn't so surprising, for she had honed the art of tuning out any decibel of noise whenever she desired.

Breaking free from the momentary daze, she looks around at the stillness of the parking lot and starts to hear the cheers of the crowd going absolutely bonkers singing along to the music being played inside the stadium while waiting for the show to start. Despite the cold, the weather seems to be extremely cooperative today, the sunset was almost the same shade as an album cover—the very singer's album cover.

"Ready?" Ethienne head immediately turns to her friend, Cara, who was also leaning on the car boot beside her. She raises a brow at Cara who just laughs. "Ready to experience your very first concert, I mean."

She shrugs and reaches for her strawberry-flavored vape inside her back pocket. She puffs out a cloud of strawberry-scented smoke that mixes with Cara's herbaceous slightly nauseating cigarette fumes.

"Shall we head inside?" She asks, fidgeting with the vape in her hand.

"Ready?" Cara stomps on her cigarette and picks up the butt, handing it over to Marcus, who was about to throw out his cigarette butt.

Marcus had been ever so stoic beside them that she scarcely recalled his presence. He sets off, making his way towards the adjacent bin. She tries to puff out some more of the strawberry-scented smoke before tucking it safely in her back pocket. Cara is now absorbed in her phone, chewing mint gum to try to get rid of the smell of cigarettes.

As Marcus makes his way towards her and Cara, the cheers from the stadium transform into an absolute uproar. Leaning nearer to the rear of the car, a colossal sigh escapes her lips, catching the immediate attention of both Cara and Marcus, who swiftly divert their gaze toward her.

"Okay, mate?" Cara shoves her phone into her back pocket and examines her, the supermodel's famous eyebrows scrunched.

She laughed, shaking her head. "Mate, it's not that serious, all right?" She stood up straight, adjusting her shirt. "I'm not terrified, just a bit worn out, that's all."

"All right then. We better head inside. That sounded like the countdown has already begun," Cara pointed out. Cara went to the front seat of the car to fix herself, while Ethienne graciously accepted her water flask from Marcus.

"Tree insisted that we use the side entrance they usually use. You and Cara will be seated with the rest of Ms. Swift's family and friends."

"Tree?" She almost choked on the water she was drinking. "Are you on a first-name basis with Taylor's PR manager now?"

"She insisted," Marcus answered nonchalantly, his focus on the perimeter, keeping an eye on the other security details. She followed his gaze, and when he spotted Gareth, he turned to her again. "Ready?"

"Cara, are you ready?" she shouted, and Cara immediately got out of the car.

"Yeah, let's go," Cara replied, handing her the bracelet that was supposed to be activated and glow throughout the concert. "And this... is yours, Chief M." This earned a groan from Marcus, but he put the bracelet on nonetheless.