~ happy anniversary ~

Start from the beginning

Umeed slowly nodded in response. Farjaad closed his eyes and muttered a small "Alhamdulilah" before he opened his eyes again. Tears streaming down his face this time as he wrapped his arms around her waist, putting his face in the nook of her neck. Umeed felt his tears running down her dress. She knew the fabric would be affected, but she couldn't bring herself to care. She threw her arms around his neck, her own tears ruining his shirt. Moments passed as they stood there. 

Farjaad finally broke off the hug, as he placed his forehead on hers. His hand gently cupping her face. Umeed's hand was running in his hair. 

"Thank you, Umeed. Thank you so so much. Aaj mujhe lag raha hai meri zindagi waqaye muqammal ho gayi hai. Aur ye sab tumhari wajah se hua hai. Thank you for coming into my life."

He hadn't realised when the paper dropped from his hand. The hospital report which marked a new chapter in their lives. 

"Happy anniversary, Farjaad."

~ 3 months later ~

"Good morning"

Umeed was woken up to a glass of fresh juice handed over to her by him. She could never grasp how she got so lucky with this man. He felt straight out of a dream. He had always been a doting husband, making sure all her wishes were fulfilled even before they left her mouth, but for the past three months, he had gone beyond his own standards. 

He would make sure the smallest of details were according to Umeed's comfort - from the temperature of the air conditioning to the placement of the cushions in the room. All Umeed had to do was poke him once in the middle of the night, and he would get up and drive her to have ice cream, chai or chaat  - regardless of the time. He had been going to office surviving on barely any sleep, coming home early, and managing his meetings and deals according to her appointments at the doctor's. 

Umeed had told him again and again to not get himself so worked up, but he always had the same response, "sab kuch to tum kar rahi ho, at least mujhe itna to karnay do". Umeed really felt like she was living a dream. Everything about this man was out of a fairytale, and she always took out time in her day to say a prayer of gratitude for his presence in her life.

"Farjaad, aaj dil bilkul nahi kar raha. Please."

"Dil kar raha ho, ya na kar raha ho, peena to aap ko paray ga begum sahiba."

"Please naaa, meri tabyat kharab ho jaye gi. Phir aap khud to chalay jayein gay mujhe chor ke aur mein sara din bemaar rahoon gi."

Farjaad bit his lip to stop the smile forming on his face. This was a daily occurrence - he would bring Umeed juice or milk, she would repeat the same set of dialogues. He had figured out how to deal with it. 

He walked over to the bed and sat down next to her. 

"Theek hai, ye na peeyo, mein doodh ka glass le aata hoon. Badam wala doodh banwaaon?"

Umeed practically gagged at the thought. 

"Aur saath mein nashtay mein paratha banwa deta hoon, hmm?"

Hearing all of these things made her want to vomit. 

"Nahi?"

She innocently shook her head. 

"Acha, phir wo jo aagu jaan ne bheja hai bana ke, kya naam tha, haan, panjeeri, wo la doon?"

Umeed furiously shook her head. Farjaad held back a chuckle as he saw her pick the glass of juice from the side table and drink it, and take a bite out of the toasted bread he had gotten her.