𝔸𝕔𝕥 𝕆𝕟𝕖: 𝕊𝕔𝕖𝕟𝕖 𝟛

Start from the beginning

"Aren't you cold?" 

Her grandmother stood in the doorway, seemingly appearing to be entering the kitchen. 

"Oh, I didn't hear you," Emily said, wondering if she should get up or stay put. 

"It's cold and you're having such a chilled drink. At least let it warm up a bit," Her grandmother said. 

Why did that sound like Nam Joo-hyuk? 

"It only tastes good when its cold," Emily answered and her grandmother moves to sit across from her at the dining table. 

"Do you want some halmeoni?" Emily asked. 

Her grandmother shook her head and said, "I'm too old to drink now."

Emily smiled and said, "Makgeolli has health benefits."

"Who told you that? Your mother?" Her grandmother asked. 

Emily only smiled. "How did you know it was mom?" 

"Who do you think taught her that?" Her grandmother revealed. She reached her hand out and Emily thought she wants a drink too but instead she grabbed a potato chip.  

"You're just like your mother. From your face to the way you talk," Her grandmother said, "It's exactly the same. 

"I didn't know mom liked to drink," Emily said, "She barely drinks unless its a social event and there is wine or champagne."

"Oh your mother loved to go out at your age. She loved makgeolli too," Her grandmother said, "Your mother was a completely different person back then. Now she barley comes to visit me."

"You know she wants to. It's just Yuna is still in school so its hard to leave her all alone behind," Emily said, "Besides, I'm here."

"Yuna isn't a child anymore. And can't your father look after her for a few days. You kids talk like I've never raised children myself," Her grandmother mumbled, "But I suppose it is nice to have one of you here. Even though you're gone most of the time."

Emily only smiled at that. 

Her grandmother sighed and ate another potato chip, asking, "Are you happy?" 

Emily looked up with a intrigued face. 

"Hmm?"

"Are you happy. At the training center?" Her grandmother asked, "That's why you moved, isn't it."

"I moved to for a better opportunity," Emily answered, swirling her makegeolli in the cup. 

"So you aren't happy?" Her grandmother concluded. 

"I-...I am...happy," Emily said, though it evidently sounds forced, "Just a little stressed."

"Hmm," Her grandmother responded, "Whatever you say. Just remember, there is no point in putting in so much effort if it can't even bring you some little happiness."

Emily wants to say she is happy, especially after she wins a competition, but even she can't deny that her happiness is short-lived. It comes and goes as quickly as the clouds moving across the sky. 

.

.

.

Moving in always never fun. 

First you have to go register your name at the dorm matron's office, then go and register your latest health records at the nurses' office. Then you have to get your key and actually locate your room before finally getting to unpacking.