Chapter 289 - Conductor (2)

Start from the beginning

Duke Huten, the Sword of the Empire.

He dejectedly looked at the white-haired Cale and crown prince Alberu, who was displayed through the video communication device.

Choi Han, who had the dye magic removed by now, was standing behind him while keeping a close watch over him.

"...Mmfh...Mmfh...Mmfh!"

Duke Huten, who couldn't utter a word because his mouth was gagged, nevertheless uttered a cry, or some sort of muffled groan-like sound.

'The Roan Kingdom! You Roan Kingdom bastards were the masterminds all along! How dare you bastards try and usurp the Empire's position!'

Unfortunately, none of his thoughts could be said out loud.

Duke Huten's eyes became bloodshot from resentful shock.

However, that didn't bother Cale. A good person might have a guilty conscience, but both of them were people in positions of power who had played a role in the lives of many during the battle.

Those who had blood on their hands were pretty much the same.

Creak—

Cale rose from his chair and saw crown prince Alberu gently waving his hand at him as he straightened out his priest robe.

– Do a good job spreading the news in the Empire. Let the people know that the Empire suffered a crushing defeat so that they can grumble and complain to the Imperial Prince.

Duke Huten's whole body trembled.

He couldn't imagine anyone as evil as them.

Crown prince Alberu nonchalantly commented at that moment.

– That way we'll be able to destroy the Alchemists' Bell Tower, right?

Duke Huten's body shook as if he had been struck by lightning. He could see that both Cale and Alberu were looking towards him.

The white-haired Cale's voice was then heard.

"Don't act so surprised. We know everything, Duke-nim."

Cale pointed at his white hair and uttered a single phrase.

"The White Star."

The look of resentment and anger in Duke Huten's eyes changed.

He had a look of fear toward an unknown existence that could not be comprehended.

'How much do they know?
No, what do they know?'

His mind drew a blank as he looked at Cale and Alberu.

However, there was no one to answer his question.

Click.

Alberu hung up after saying what he needed to say as usual while Cale prepared to leave as he gave Choi Han an order.

"Lock him up."

Duke Huten stared at Cale as he was dragged down to the prison. The corners of Cale's lips slowly went up into a smile that seemed to resemble the smile of a holy priest.

Cale arrived at the slums of the Mogoru Empire's capital with that smile on his face.

***

The Mogoru Empire's capital.

Jam, who had been walking over to open the vegetable store early in the morning, slowly stopped walking after hearing some voices.

"...The Empire's army lost?"