Ell Belle

The sound of crying came over the baby monitor and startled both Maura and Jane awake.
"Is that Ellie?" Jane asked.
"Yeah, I'll go" Maura responded. Elora was 18 months old, and her sleep schedule was pretty good, she rarely woke in the middle of the night, especially not to cry.

Maura tied her robe around her waist and made her way into the nursery.
"Hey sweetheart, it's okay, Mommys here" Elora held her arms out for Maura to pick her up, trying to grab at her. Maura picked her up and held her close to her chest. "It's okay baby, I'm right here" She carried her into her and Janes bedroom, holding her close to her chest. Jane was sat up in bed, waiting for Maura to disclose the issue.

"She has a fever, probably just the common cold, she has a little snot and mucus" As if on cue Elora coughed and then promptly sneezed, resting her head back on Mauras chest.
"Om-mi" She cried.
"Shhh, sh sh sh, you're okay sweet girl" Maura gently rocked the child.
"I'll go get her some medicine" Jane said, slipping out of bed and throwing on a hoodie.
"Thank you" Maura smiled. Jane pecked her cheek and her daughters head and left the room. Maura sat down on the bed against the pillows, cradling Lucia against the skin of her chest.

Elora had another coughing fit before Jane came back with a thermometer, some medicines, and a change of clothes for the little girl.
"I thought getting her into something cooler might help" She said simply. Maura nodded and sat her on her own lap, facing outwards, so that Jane could give her the medicine. Jane took her temperature, it wasn't worryingly high but they noted it to keep an eye on if it went up or down. Then Jane held out the medicine syringe.

"No mama" She cried. She hated taking medicine of any sorts. Her mothers could hear how blocked her nose was when she spoke, and Maura pouted a little at how sad she sounded.
"Be a big girl for Mama and take your medicine, Ell-Belle, and then you will feel better" Jane encouraged, stroking the babys cheek softly with her free hand.

Elora opened her mouth and Jane pushed the medicine in 3 parts from the syringe.
"Good girl baby, one more" Jane said softly, holding out the second syringe of medicine.
"Om-mi" She cried, wriggling her little body to hide her head in Mauras chest.
"Come on darling, just one more" Maura rubbed her little back. "Just one more for us Belle"

Elora just cried into Mauras chest, so Maura picked her up and put her head on her shoulder. Jane moved around the back and gently pushed the syringe between Eloras lips, feeding her the medicine and then stepping back.
"There, all better, good girl" Jane kissed her clammy forehead and then Maura lay her on the bed, taking off her little pyjamas, changing the long sleeves and full pants for a vest and some pyjama shorts.

"There we are sweetheart, all better" Maura glanced at the clock and surely enough, it was 4am. Luckily she and Jane both had the weekend off, so she could sleep in a little in the morning.

Jane cleaned up and then slid into bed next to them both. Maura had Ellie lay on her chest, as she shuffled down the bed a little so that only her shoulders were raised against the pillows. Jane brought her arm behind Mauras head, pulling her into her side.

Elora settled down as Maura stroked her hair softly, coaxing her back to sleep. Jane mirrored the motion in Mauras hair, while her other hand was lightly placed on Eloras back. Maura planted a soft kiss on the infants head, then on Janes lips, before the three of them drifted back to sleep.

The next time they woke up, Ellie was wriggling around on Mauras chest.
"Hey sweetheart" Maura smiled, gently rubbing the girls warm back. The clock said it was almost 8am, so Maura slowly sat up, out of Janes arms, and took her downstairs.

"You you like some pancakes Belle?" Maura asked, placing Elora in her high chair as she waltzed around the kitchen starting breakfast. She made the pancake mixture and began cooking them off when Elora began crying.

"Sweetheart? Whats the matter" Maura asked softly, as she made her way towards her, the little girl threw up. "Oh dear. Thats okay sweet girl, it's okay" She turned off the hob and called for Jane, who jogged down the stairs.
"Ob crap"
"Jane shes sick" Maura began panicking.
"Its okay, it's probably just the flu, Maur. Here, let me take her and clean her up, and you tidy down here okay?" Jane said calmly. Maura nodded and bit her lip. "Baby?"
"Hm?"

"She is fine. Alright? Shes a kid, kids get sick all the time. I know you're scared, I am too. But use that big brain of yours, think about it, and you'll realise that it is just the flu" Jane kissed Mauras head and picked up Elora. "Lets go give you a bath huh?" She smiled at the little girl, who happily returned the smile and gave a little nod.

Maura began stress cleaning, and by the time Jane had brought Elora down in fresh pajamas, Maura had gutted the entire down.
"Jeez babe they can smell the bleach from New Jersey" Jane teased.
"I'm sorry, I just panicked. She hasn't really gotten sick before and I worried and I just want her to be okay because-"
"Because you care, and because you are an incredible mom. She is fine, shes not thrown up again, She was playing in the bath, and now we're all gonna sit together, and watch a movie, and everything is going to be absolutely fine, isn't it Belle?"
"Om-mi" Ellie reached out for Maura to take her.
"Come here sweetheart" Maura cradled the child close to her chest. "Mommy loves you so much" Maura ran her hand through blonde curls and kissed her head.

Jane grinned wildly watching the interaction, and then wrapped and arm around Mauras wait to direct them to the couch.
"You wanna watch Tangled Belle?"
"Angled!" The infant shouted.
"Thats right" Maura chuckled. Jane sat with her back against the side of the sofa, and pulled Maura between her legs. Elora lay on her stomach across Mauras stomach and rested her head on Mauras chest, eyes lighting up as the movie began playing.
"See, she's absolutely fine" Jane smiled. Maura twisted her head up to look at Jane.
"I love you" She said softly.
"I love you more" Jane began, as Maura gently kissed her.
"Not possible darling" Maura mumbled against Janes lips, before turning back to the movie.

Jane chuckled, wrapping her arms around her two girls.
"So possible"